SMT vs DIP
The Nanping factory has 10 SMT lines and six DIP lines. So, what is the difference? Certain components either reside on the PCB's surface or go straight through holes in the PCB. SMT (surface mount technology) refers to components and ICs which do not go through the PCB and are instead soldered to the top of the board. DIP (dual in-line process) refers to a technology where components have pins in two parallel rows, are inserted into holes on the PCB, and then soldered to the backside of the board/PCB; these components can also be referred to as through-hole components.
On the left is an X99-UD4P which has all of its SMDs (surface mount devices) mounted through SMT (surface mount technology). Typical SMD components are; chipsets, sockets, MOSETs, and other small components like resistors. SMT provides better operation for many components, reducing the amount of electrical noise that pins are susceptible to as well as allowing for the miniaturization of components, pins, and connections.
On the right is a 99FXA-UD7 which has all of its through-hole/DIP components mounted through insertion technology. Almost all slots and ports are mounted in this fashion as are can-type capacitors and many times, inductors. DIP provides much better durability than SMT, as components are more securely bonded to the motherboard. DIP also supports heavier or larger components such as IO ports.
One component that typically is DIP, but also has its SMT variant is the DRAM slot. GIGABYTE has experimented with SMT DIMMs on its OC lineup with great success. While DRAM slots can support SMT because memory modules are pretty light, other slots such as PCI-E would require an anchor if SMT is used, because of the amount of weight video cards might put on the slot.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Because science: sperm used to deliver cancer drug to tumors
- Battlegrounds replay function tested ahead of v1.0 release
- Samsung's mid-range 2018 phones might feature 18:9 displays
- Far Cry 5's new trailer drops, shows off 'The Resistance'
- Bad Company 3 could be joined by new Battlefield set in WWII
- Patriot Viper V570 Blackout Gaming Mouse Review
- Cougar Puri TKL Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Review
- OWC Mercury Helios 3 Thunderbolt 3 Enclosure Review
- Mionix Wei Ice Cream Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Review
- Unable to use all 3 M.2's for RAID 0
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit
- Colorful Announces iGame GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Vulcan X Top
- Gainward Announces its GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series