Without a doubt, Intel has finally made a new socket move away from the mPGA478, and like it or not, it is here for some time. While support does continue for Socket 478, it is clear Intel won't be making processors for this CPU for much longer. While some of us out there can afford a new PCI Express graphics card, Socket 775 CPU and DDR-2 memory but what about all of us with our still high performing AGP graphics cards and DDR memory but want to use the new CPU? Some motherboard manufacturers have came up with an answer.
Socket 775 is architecturally identical to the mPGA 478 system - its bus system is identical, the extra pins are simply for additional power to the CPU (which comes from the PSU) and has nothing to do with the chipset itself. So it stands to reason, can we have our tried and true chipsets like the Intel Springdale or Canterwood with our new 775 Pentium 4 CPU - ABIT and DFI have done just this with their latest motherboard creations.
But I know some of you are saying, "Why would you want to do that?" Simple - I know quite a few people who just forked out quite a bit of cash for a new 6800 or X800 AGP graphics card and to simply trash them now because the new CPU is designed for a new socket and new chipset is a major annoyance. If its can be compatibilised with the existing chipsets that have served more than well, why not do it.
Today we are pitting the ABIT AS8 motherboard (Intel Springdale chipset) against the DFI Lanparty 875P-T motherboard (Intel Canterwood chipset). Both are based on the old school chipsets supporting the new Socket 775 or Socket T as it is also known - Who has the superior product? Let's find out!
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.com
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.co.uk
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.com.au
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.ca
Deutschland: Finde andere Technik- und Computerprodukte wie dieses auf Amazon.de
- Old School Support - Page 1 [Introduction]
- Old School Support - Page 2 [Specifications of the ABIT AS8]
- Old School Support - Page 3 [Specifications of the DFI Lanparty 875P-T]
- Old School Support - Page 4 [Features - ABIT AS8]
- Old School Support - Page 5 [Features - DFI Lanparty 875P-T]
- Old School Support - Page 6 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and SiSoft Sandra]
- Old School Support - Page 7 [Benchmarks - 3DMark2001 SE]
- Old School Support - Page 8 [Benchmarks - 3DMark03]
- Old School Support - Page 9 [Benchmarks - PCMark]
- Old School Support - Page 10 [Benchmarks - Far Cry]
- Old School Support - Page 11 [Benchmarks - Unreal Tournament 2004]
- Old School Support - Page 12 [Benchmarks - Doom 3]
- Old School Support - Page 13 [Final Thoughts]