The concept of this layout is promising, but the position of the ports isn't the best. This sideways approach to IDE devices has been used before and it isn't a bad concept. The biggest problem I had was in the case of a good sized enclosure, it was difficult to get cables long enough to reach from the very bottom portion of the board to the upper optical devices.
The floppy connector uses the older upright mounting technique and sits toward the top edge of the motherboard. Maybe if the FDD and the second IDE connectors were to switch places things would work out better.
Tucked in behind the IDE ports are the two SATA ports. Each port can be used to connect a single drive to the system and they also allow support of a RAID setup.
Also pictured above is a diagnostic LED that has become a mainstay for ABIT's line of performance boards. If an error occurs during boot up, you can use the manual to help you locate the cause of the problem.
Though having only a single RJ-45 jack, the layout is similar to that of the MSI board tested. Four USB 2.0 ports, one Firewire, 6-channel sound output and all the standard ports are present. Also included is a backplate for use in your enclosure, so there are no worries there either.
With regards to that RJ-45 jack mentioned above, you will have GigABIT Ethernet included with this board also. This seems to be a growing trend, and while it may not have a lot of use for your broadband connection, it does make a difference if you create a small home network. Your Internet connection will always be limited by your ISP, but if you have two computers connected with GigABIT Ethernet, you'll see a huge increase in data transfer rates.
Look familiar? It should since it is the very same chipset that controls the Firewire capabilities on the MSI board. At least it doesn't look quite so out of place since the rest of the chipset is based on a VIA solution.
As far as Firewire capabilities go, you have three IEEE1394 ports at your disposal. One mounted on the back of the board and two ports on the board itself to hook up externally accessible cards or devices.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- MSI vs. ABIT - Page 1 [Introduction]
- MSI vs. ABIT - Page 2 [MSI K8N Neo 2 Platinum]
- MSI vs. ABIT - Page 3 [MSI In The Box]
- MSI vs. ABIT - Page 4 [MSI Motherboard]
- MSI vs. ABIT - Page 5 [MSI Motherboard ~ Cont]
- MSI vs. ABIT - Page 6 [MSI Installation and BIOS]
- MSI vs. ABIT - Page 7 [MSI Overclocking]
- MSI vs. ABIT - Page 8 [ABIT AV8 3rd Eye]
- MSI vs. ABIT - Page 9 [ABIT In The Box]
- MSI vs. ABIT - Page 10 [ABIT Motherboard]
- MSI vs. ABIT - Page 11 [ABIT Motherboard ~ Cont]
- MSI vs. ABIT - Page 12 [ABIT Installation and BIOS]
- MSI vs. ABIT - Page 13 [ABIT Overclocking]
- MSI vs. ABIT - Page 14 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup & SiSoft Sandra]
- MSI vs. ABIT - Page 15 [Benchmarks - 3DMark2001 SE]
- MSI vs. ABIT - Page 16 [Benchmarks - 3DMark03]
- MSI vs. ABIT - Page 17 [Benchmarks - PCMark04]
- MSI vs. ABIT - Page 18 [Benchmarks - HD Tach 3]
- MSI vs. ABIT - Page 19 [Benchmarks - CINEBENCH 2003]
- MSI vs. ABIT - Page 20 [Benchmarks - AquaMark 3]
- MSI vs. ABIT - Page 21 [Benchmarks - Quake III]
- MSI vs. ABIT - Page 22 [Benchmarks - Unreal Tournament 2004]
- MSI vs. ABIT - Page 23 [Benchmarks - Doom 3]
- MSI vs. ABIT - Page 24 [Conclusion]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Digital-only Xbox One has 1TB HDD, includes three games
- Epic won't let 'crappy games' on its store
- Steam's library UI is getting a makeover
- Google Stadia's save sharing feature is revolutionary
- Games titan Tencent earns $45 billion in 2018
- Icy Dock flexiDock MB524SP-B Review - 4x 2.5" SATA, 5.25 Bay
- ASUS Prime X-470 Pro very long POST / Windows boot time
- Logitech G603 Lightspeed Wireless Gaming Mouse Review
- Aorus master or stutter master?
- Getting SSD to boot
- EVE: Aether Wars Successfully Achieves Groundbreaking 14,000-Ship Battle Live At GDC
- Stainless Games new IP, ShockRods, set to re-ignite arena combat genre with over-the-top action
- RIFT is Celebrating its 8th Anniversary! Update Gives Players New Expert Dungeon and a Colorful Carnival
- Ubisoft Announces The PC Specifications For Assassin's Creed III Remastered
- Life Is Strange 2 Episode 3 Release Date Announced