The concept of this layout is promising, but the position of the ports isn't the best. This sideways approach to IDE devices has been used before and it isn't a bad concept. The biggest problem I had was in the case of a good sized enclosure, it was difficult to get cables long enough to reach from the very bottom portion of the board to the upper optical devices.
The floppy connector uses the older upright mounting technique and sits toward the top edge of the motherboard. Maybe if the FDD and the second IDE connectors were to switch places things would work out better.
Tucked in behind the IDE ports are the two SATA ports. Each port can be used to connect a single drive to the system and they also allow support of a RAID setup.
Also pictured above is a diagnostic LED that has become a mainstay for ABIT's line of performance boards. If an error occurs during boot up, you can use the manual to help you locate the cause of the problem.
Though having only a single RJ-45 jack, the layout is similar to that of the MSI board tested. Four USB 2.0 ports, one Firewire, 6-channel sound output and all the standard ports are present. Also included is a backplate for use in your enclosure, so there are no worries there either.
With regards to that RJ-45 jack mentioned above, you will have GigABIT Ethernet included with this board also. This seems to be a growing trend, and while it may not have a lot of use for your broadband connection, it does make a difference if you create a small home network. Your Internet connection will always be limited by your ISP, but if you have two computers connected with GigABIT Ethernet, you'll see a huge increase in data transfer rates.
Look familiar? It should since it is the very same chipset that controls the Firewire capabilities on the MSI board. At least it doesn't look quite so out of place since the rest of the chipset is based on a VIA solution.
As far as Firewire capabilities go, you have three IEEE1394 ports at your disposal. One mounted on the back of the board and two ports on the board itself to hook up externally accessible cards or devices.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- MSI vs. ABIT - Page 1 [Introduction]
- MSI vs. ABIT - Page 2 [MSI K8N Neo 2 Platinum]
- MSI vs. ABIT - Page 3 [MSI In The Box]
- MSI vs. ABIT - Page 4 [MSI Motherboard]
- MSI vs. ABIT - Page 5 [MSI Motherboard ~ Cont]
- MSI vs. ABIT - Page 6 [MSI Installation and BIOS]
- MSI vs. ABIT - Page 7 [MSI Overclocking]
- MSI vs. ABIT - Page 8 [ABIT AV8 3rd Eye]
- MSI vs. ABIT - Page 9 [ABIT In The Box]
- MSI vs. ABIT - Page 10 [ABIT Motherboard]
- MSI vs. ABIT - Page 11 [ABIT Motherboard ~ Cont]
- MSI vs. ABIT - Page 12 [ABIT Installation and BIOS]
- MSI vs. ABIT - Page 13 [ABIT Overclocking]
- MSI vs. ABIT - Page 14 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup & SiSoft Sandra]
- MSI vs. ABIT - Page 15 [Benchmarks - 3DMark2001 SE]
- MSI vs. ABIT - Page 16 [Benchmarks - 3DMark03]
- MSI vs. ABIT - Page 17 [Benchmarks - PCMark04]
- MSI vs. ABIT - Page 18 [Benchmarks - HD Tach 3]
- MSI vs. ABIT - Page 19 [Benchmarks - CINEBENCH 2003]
- MSI vs. ABIT - Page 20 [Benchmarks - AquaMark 3]
- MSI vs. ABIT - Page 21 [Benchmarks - Quake III]
- MSI vs. ABIT - Page 22 [Benchmarks - Unreal Tournament 2004]
- MSI vs. ABIT - Page 23 [Benchmarks - Doom 3]
- MSI vs. ABIT - Page 24 [Conclusion]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- DICE looking to adapt battle royale into Battlefield games
- Beyond Good and Evil 2 will be at E3 2018
- PS5 won't launch before 2021
- Sony may further experiment with portable gaming
- Sony's PS4 DualShock 4 gamepad: the most popular controller
- Buy 5 Pieces Samsung Galaxy S9 (www.BizFests.com) 64GB $1,595
- Buy 5 Pieces Samsung Galaxy S9 64GB SM-G960UZKAXAA $1,595
- X58a-ud5 rev 1.0 Bios with VT-d support
- HyperX FURY DDR4-3466 16GB Dual-Channel Memory Kit Review
- If I use the M2_1 slot in the x470 Taichi Ultimate ,will it take away PCIE lanes from the GPU?
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit