Image Quality Investigation
Okay, we've seen performance increases from 8% up to 26% so far through ATI's clearly new and smart way of processing 3D graphics. Surely though this comes at a price? We fired up Doom 3 using a custom timedemo with A.I. on and off in both Normal Quality (0x AA and 8x AF) and High Quality (6x AA and 16x AF) to see if we could notice any image quality reductions.
The images below are all compressed JPG (although only 1% compressed) and as a result do not 100% accurately represent actual in-game quality - please keep this in mind when looking at the screenshots.
You can click on each image below for the full 1600 x 1200 version which will make it easier to check the differences, if any.
A.I. OFF - Normal Quality
A.I. ON - Normal Quality
A.I. OFF - High Quality
A.I. ON - High Quality
I am hard pressed to notice much difference in image quality. However, I'll be the first to admit I don't have as good a trained eye compared to many other people.
Having said that though, it would seem apparent that image quality reduction is not an issue with CATALYST A.I. - I zoomed in on the screenshots with Paint Shop Pro and failed to notice any difference. It's important to keep thing in prospective here as it's not like you are going to examine every single texture in extreme detail as I did when you are busy fragging your opponent.
Bottom line on this subject, CATALYST A.I. improves performs without compromising image quality as promised in the press material from ATI. And I'll say it again, Free performance...we love that kind of thing!
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Mass Effect dev: EA only cares about highest returns
- Gabe Newell is the 427th richest person in the world
- Sharp NES TV: a curious piece of 1980s gaming magic
- Sony's new PS4 controller for kids looks like a bad idea
- Switch sells over 2 million units in U.S. alone
- LGA-775 GA-EP35-DS3P (rev 2.1), Q9550 e0 overclocking advice please?
- Will the PC-A76 accept a Tyan TYAN S7100 (S7100AG2NR) SSI EEB Mother board?
- MSI Z370 GODLIKE GAMING Motherboard Review
- GTX 1080 Ti 11GB - SLI or NOT !?
- GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS Gaming 7 Motherboard Review
- Introducing the CYBERPOWERPC Crystal Gaming Series Powered By CORSAIR
- COLORFUL Officially Releases iGame Z370 Vulcan X Motherboard in South Korea
- G.SKILL Releases DDR4-3800MHz 32GB (4x8GB) SO-DIMM Memory Kit for Mini-ITX Motherboards
- EK Water Blocks releases new Slim Series kits
- BIOSTAR releases new RACING Z370GT7 motherboard