Image Quality Investigation
Okay, we've seen performance increases from 8% up to 26% so far through ATI's clearly new and smart way of processing 3D graphics. Surely though this comes at a price? We fired up Doom 3 using a custom timedemo with A.I. on and off in both Normal Quality (0x AA and 8x AF) and High Quality (6x AA and 16x AF) to see if we could notice any image quality reductions.
The images below are all compressed JPG (although only 1% compressed) and as a result do not 100% accurately represent actual in-game quality - please keep this in mind when looking at the screenshots.
You can click on each image below for the full 1600 x 1200 version which will make it easier to check the differences, if any.
A.I. OFF - Normal Quality
A.I. ON - Normal Quality
A.I. OFF - High Quality
A.I. ON - High Quality
I am hard pressed to notice much difference in image quality. However, I'll be the first to admit I don't have as good a trained eye compared to many other people.
Having said that though, it would seem apparent that image quality reduction is not an issue with CATALYST A.I. - I zoomed in on the screenshots with Paint Shop Pro and failed to notice any difference. It's important to keep thing in prospective here as it's not like you are going to examine every single texture in extreme detail as I did when you are busy fragging your opponent.
Bottom line on this subject, CATALYST A.I. improves performs without compromising image quality as promised in the press material from ATI. And I'll say it again, Free performance...we love that kind of thing!
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Capcom add 'Torch Man' to the Mega Man 11 boss roster
- Kirby Star Allies: Daroach, Dark Meta Knight & more details
- Breath of the Wild Link joins Mario Kart 8 Deluxe roster
- Dragon Ball Super: Broly Movie Trailer revealed at Comic-Con
- New story trailer released for Insomniac Games' Spider-Man
- ASROCK C2750D4I BMC Self Test Failure
- OWC Travel Dock Review
- Asrock a320m dgs eveything stuttering even cs go drops 15-20 fps
- Biostar X470GTN Gaming (AMD X470) Motherboard Review
- Asrock X399 + Watercooling help needed please
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit