In order to simulate a more common test system, we used the following components.
Test System Setup
Processor: Intel Pentium 4 3.2GHz E (800MHz FSB) (Supplied by Spectrum Communications)
Memory: 2x 512MB OCZ DDR-533 (Supplied by OCZ)
Hard Disk: 2x Maxtor Maxline III 250GB 7,200 RPM SATA
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon 9800XT
Optical Drive: 1x LG GSA-4040B DVD-RW and 1x MSI DR8A DVD-RW
Sound Card: Sound Blaster Audigy
Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP1
The Intel Pentium 4 Prescott processor was chosen as it is the most power hungry CPU currently available. While we could have put this onto a DDR-2 platform with the Pentium 4 560, DDR is still more common and draws more power than DDR-2. As most of these PSU's are designed for the 478 series Pentium 4 and AMD Athlon 64, this is what we are going with for testing.
For this test we connected separate Multimeters with recording capabilities to each of the voltage rails. This gave us the ability to record the highest and lowest fluxuations in the voltage lines.
We tested the system at both standard clock speeds and then overclocking the CPU from 3.2GHz up to 3.6GHz (1.55v on the CPU core, 3.2v on the memory, 1.65v on the AGP bus) we also overclocked the video card as well to increase the amount of energy drawn.
As a final note, most manufacturers claim a leeway of +/- 5% of any given output level. Using this as a common ground, we should end up with rail voltage levels of 3.135-3.465v on the 3.3v rail, 4.75-5.25v on the 5v rail and 11.4-12.6v on the 12v rail. Keep this in mind when we go through the numbers below. Higher values can be beneficial, lower values bear watching.
Maximum Recorded - Standard Clock Speeds
Here we see the OCZ Power Stream come out on top.
Maximum Recorded - Overclocked Speeds
Here we see that OCZ has allowed a stable voltage system as it didn't go under specified voltages at all. In fact, it was the cleanest we have seen and we didn't even need to adjust the power through the three turn dials.
Minimum Recorded - Standard Clock Speeds
Again OCZ stays on top. This was the minimum recorded voltages, this happened at start-up of the operating system.
Minimum Recorded - Overclocked Speeds
Again the OCZ Power Stream stays stable no matter what you throw at it.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Power Supply Roundup - Page 1 [Introduction]
- Power Supply Roundup - Page 2 [OCZ Power Stream 520ADJ]
- Power Supply Roundup - Page 3 [Thermaltake Polo12]
- Power Supply Roundup - Page 4 [Vantec VAN-350N]
- Power Supply Roundup - Page 5 [SilenX 350]
- Power Supply Roundup - Page 6 [Coolermaster RS-450-ACLY]
- Power Supply Roundup - Page 7 [Coolermaster RS-350-AMSA]
- Power Supply Roundup - Page 8 [Testing]
- Power Supply Roundup - Page 9 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Next-gen Switch isn't happening, sources at Nintendo say
- Nintendo Switch firmware update brings system to 8.0.1
- Fan hurls dead crab at Super Smash Bros. Pro Player in match
- Shadow of the Tomb Raider gets final DLC 'The Path home'
- GIGABYTE's new AERO 15 Classic notebook is 0.74 inches thick
- Fitbit Versa Lite Smart Fitness Watch Review
- Powerr ON By Keyboard not work. Gigabyte AORUS B360M
- Micron 9300 Series Enterprise SSD Review
- Disable DVD Drive as Boot Device
- Tesla Breaks Up With NVIDIA, Announces New Self-Driving Chip
- BATTLETECH: Urban Warfare Brings 'Mechs to the City on June 4th
- Goblin and Coins 2 (officially) announced
- Athenascope's AI-Powered Highlights Effortlessly Capture Top Gameplay Moments with the Launch of Official Windows App
- Power Up Lahn and Hunt for Rewarding Eggs This Week in Black Desert SEA
- Playrion presents its new game Airlines Manager - Tycoon 2019, world leader in airline simulation games, and announces a continued partnership with the International Air Transport Association (IATA)