The Vantec VAN-350N is the smallest wattage power supply we were sent for this roundup coming in at 350 watts. Most of the latest trends are for 400 watt minimum and pushing into the high 500 watt (and even 600 watt range) in order to keep up with power hungry users who overclock to the extreme.
Vantec has gone for a black hammer-tone finish on its PSU to match the more common case modders preferred PC colour of black - if you have a black case, this baby will fit right in.
Vantec take the same approach to cooling the unit as the Thermaltake Polo12. No rear fan has been placed on this cooler but rather one large 120mm fan sits at the bottom of the PSU and draws air from the inside of the case. This is then blown across the internal components. As the air has no other path to follow but out the rear grill, the air is expelled quietly and efficiently.
Cable management has been one of Vantec's add-on kits for power supplies, so it's without a doubt that we would see Vantec's own PSU with the cable sleeving included. While not colour coded like the Thermaltake PSU, it is all in black to match the PSU. As far as cables go, you get the following:
1x 20pin ATX power connector
1x 4pin CPU voltage power connector
1x 6pin AUX connector (these are now redundant, it is only for legacy this is added)
7x 4pin HDD Molex connector with EZ-Grip removal
2x 4pin FDD Molex Connector
2x SATA Power Connector
For the cables Vantec provides enough power ports for a 350 watt PSU to handle, in fact it is the most we have seen on such a small PSU.
Vantec has not only done a good job outside but inside the PSU as well which is where it really counts. Two large gold heatsinks are bolted to the 4 main voltage regulators in order to give as clean a power signal as possible by reducing the heat. While it's not the most aggressive cooling setup there is, it sure does keep a tidy layout with plenty of quality parts.
Vantec put its specifications for the VAN-350N as follows:
+3.3v Rail: 14A
+5v Rail: 30A
+12v Rail: 15A
-12v Rail: 0.8A
-5v Rail: 0.5A
+5vSB Rail: 3A
Maximum Rated Output: 350 Watts
One thing was surprising, while it does lack high amperage on the main lines, its 5VSB line that is used to give standby power to the USB, PS/2 ports for external wakeup is the highest of any PSU, Vantec seems to think that this will be needed, as it does also supply voltage to the memory when in STR mode. In all with the low 15A on the 12v rail I wouldn't recommend this to a Prescott user as it will be extremely taxed under default voltages, let alone an overclocked situation.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Power Supply Roundup - Page 1 [Introduction]
- Power Supply Roundup - Page 2 [OCZ Power Stream 520ADJ]
- Power Supply Roundup - Page 3 [Thermaltake Polo12]
- Power Supply Roundup - Page 4 [Vantec VAN-350N]
- Power Supply Roundup - Page 5 [SilenX 350]
- Power Supply Roundup - Page 6 [Coolermaster RS-450-ACLY]
- Power Supply Roundup - Page 7 [Coolermaster RS-350-AMSA]
- Power Supply Roundup - Page 8 [Testing]
- Power Supply Roundup - Page 9 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- First PC mods available on Xbox One through 'Paradox Mods'
- OVERKILL's The Walking Dead pre-order refunded, NOT canceled
- Age of Empires will have a segment Inside Xbox in March
- Valve abandon ALL non-gaming related video content on Steam
- Battlerite Royale hits free-to-play on Steam, now available
- AxE: Alliance vs Empire preview: MMO mobile chaos
- random shutdown
- Magnum Trt Secrets
- LG Innotek Begins Mass Production of 'ToF Module' for Smart Phones
- Puma And The Tetris Company Announce Partnership That Is Sure To Spark Nostalgia
- Embrace Your Dark Side - Daedalic Entertainment Announces New Tactical RPG Iratus: Lord of the Dead
- New Devespresso and Headup Collaboration: 'Vambrace: Cold Soul' Coming Soon to PC & Consoles
- Hadean Integrates Distributed Simulation Technology Powered By Microsoft Azure