Today's computers get ever faster. Newer CPU's come in up and over 3GHz. Video cards are now running 500Mhz core and over 1GHz DDR memory speeds. Hard drives increase in size and rev speeds, two or more optical drives come into the system, and fans are all put into the mix to keep it cool. Sounds like a good rig, right? Yes but with the wrong power supply, you can simply find yourself up the creek, without a paddle, so to speak.
The power supply unit or PSU as it is known is one of and if not the most overlooked parts of the PC. The power supply provides voltage to all devices inside the case and if you don't have a powerful enough, or good enough quality PSU, you can start experiencing random resets, PC crashing and even in some cases, the entire system dying from over voltage and insufficient voltage regulation - basically a nightmare scenario, so it's crucial you choose the right PSU for your needs.
Today we put six PSU's up against each other from OCZ, Thermaltake, Vantec and Coolermaster in varying sizes and features. We'll check out the appearance and features of each PSU and then put them up against each other and measure the type of minimum and maximum voltages each is able to deliver with a standard system and then an overclocked system based around an Intel Pentium 4 Prescott processor which is one of the most power hungry processors currently on the market.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Power Supply Roundup - Page 1 [Introduction]
- Power Supply Roundup - Page 2 [OCZ Power Stream 520ADJ]
- Power Supply Roundup - Page 3 [Thermaltake Polo12]
- Power Supply Roundup - Page 4 [Vantec VAN-350N]
- Power Supply Roundup - Page 5 [SilenX 350]
- Power Supply Roundup - Page 6 [Coolermaster RS-450-ACLY]
- Power Supply Roundup - Page 7 [Coolermaster RS-350-AMSA]
- Power Supply Roundup - Page 8 [Testing]
- Power Supply Roundup - Page 9 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Microsoft teases custom-designed celebrity Xbox One consoles
- GeForce RTX 2080 Ti FE OC: 2.4GHz GPU, 17Gbps GDDR6 on LN2
- GeForce 411.63 drivers ready for GeForce RTX 2080/2080 Ti
- Halo 6 won't have real money lootboxes, 343i confirms
- Switch's split D-pad makes NES gaming frustrating
- NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Review: No Seriously, Just Buy It
- can not find WIIFI driver
- Qsan XN3002T Two-Bay NAS Review
- Can't connect to the media server on my AC68U
- Need help with my asus rp-AC68U
- The Slater releases on September 20th
- Partnership Between Mastiff and Yggdrazil Group Brings Home Sweet Home to PlayStation 4 and Xbox One This October
- Turn-Based PC-RTS 'ValeGuard' Has Launched On STEAM Offering Exciting City-Building & Strategic Real-Time Combat
- IBM Takes Major Step in Breaking Open the Black Box of AI
- Genpact Launches Cora CommandCenter to Transform Digital Workforce Performance and Automation Governance