From our results we can see that there is a good difference in frame rates between the best and worst sound solutions, especially in games such as Battlefield Vietnam which have a big emphasis on audio in delivering the overall gaming experience. It is also important to keep in mind that real world gaming effects will be far more intensive on the various sound solutions performance, as action scenes will put an even bigger load on the soundcard's processing power. Considering the SoundStorm is producing true surround sound in all of our tests, it stood up very well against the competition and even managed to take the lead in certain games which is very impressive. We noticed almost a 60% drop in performance with the cheap Cmedia onboard sound solution compared to the best performer which is hardware accelerated.
So why on Earth don't gamers, enthusiasts and computer companies pay attention to these types of sound solution figures as much as they do with GPU performance? It has been the consumer, mostly enthusiasts (just 10 million or so of us around the world) which have forced companies such as ATI and nVidia to work extreme overtime in order to produce the better 3D graphics performance from their GPU's - heck, you've even showed them the value to the point where they will also consider cheating to seemingly produce the better GPU, yet hardly any consideration in comparison is given to sound solutions as far as frames per second influence and true and high quality positional surround sound is concerned.
Why is this happening? The answer seems clear to us. Consumer demand - No company is going to produce something which is more expensive to mass manufacturer unless there is consumer demand for it, especially with the Chinese culture - which is only fair enough. And why is there no consumer demand? There is nowhere near enough mainstream coverage as to the benefits of impressive sound solutions such as nVidia SoundStorm. Most consumers seem happy with their "5.1 sound" but they are not experiencing the ultimate sound performance possible as demonstrated by SoundStorm. It's going to be up to websites such as TweakTown, magazines around the world and consumers to make the change - there will need to be a clear and obvious push for better standards in computer audio for anything to happen.
If there is no push, the vast majority of companies will continue to produce the cheapest audio solutions they can to maximize profits but once the consumer awareness of the type of high quality sound solutions available increases, computer users will not mind spending some extra dollars on their new motherboard knowing full well they can expect to experience proper and true digital surround sound. All Microsoft Xbox games have full Dolby Digital support with the "Xbox Advanced AV Pack" since it uses the SoundStorm for processing so why shouldn't we just expect the same standards for computer gaming?
It seems really simple, doesn't it? Hopefully we have presented a solid argument here today and we hope other tech sites, magazines, marketing people and most importantly consumers take notice and spend more time thinking about computer audio as it's about time we were given consistently better quality computer audio for our gaming needs with nVidia's SoundStorm being a perfect example as to the benefits that can be had in this area.
- We are happy to discuss sound card solutions with manufacturers which we think will sell like hot cakes. If you want our opinion, feel free to contact us for ideas. If you want to discuss this article, please post all of your comments here in our Audio and Visual forum where Steve and I will be responding.
IMPORTANT - We have posted Part 2 as a follow-up to the article
In response to quite a lot of feedback on our original article entitled "The forgotten component - What's up with computer audio?" since its birth, it's been brought to our attention that not everything we mentioned was entirely profound in reference to the SoundStorm's Dolby encoding. We have a few adjustments we need to make to deliver entirely accurate content to you, our readers.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- What's up with computer audio? - Page 1 [Introduction]
- What's up with computer audio? - Page 2 [What is so good about SoundStorm?]
- What's up with computer audio? - Page 3 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and Comments]
- What's up with computer audio? - Page 4 [Benchmarks - Doom 3]
- What's up with computer audio? - Page 5 [Benchmarks - Far Cry]
- What's up with computer audio? - Page 6 [Benchmarks - Quake 3 Arena]
- What's up with computer audio? - Page 7 [Benchmarks - 3DMark03]
- What's up with computer audio? - Page 8 [Benchmarks - Unreal Tournament 2004]
- What's up with computer audio? - Page 9 [Benchmarks - Battlefield Vietnam]
- What's up with computer audio? - Page 10 [Benchmarks - CS Source BETA]
- What's up with computer audio? - Page 11 [Benchmarks - NFS Underground]
- What's up with computer audio? - Page 12 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Spider-Man developers thought the story wasn't funny enough
- Warner Bros. release teaser for Pokemon: Detective Pikachu
- China sprouts the first life ever made on the Moons surface
- Zelda: Link's Awakening Switch & GameBoy comparison video
- Apex Legends mods have banned over 16,000 cheaters so far
- Supermicro C9Z390-CG-IW (Intel Z390) Motherboard Review
- Z77X-UD5H Bios Issue When Setting CPU Multiplier Above 44
- Resident Evil 2 Remake Review: Fright Night
- HELP !!!! ASROCK Z77 PRO3 "NON-K OC MENU" disappeared :-(
- GeIL Super Luce RGB Sync DDR4-3200 16GB Memory Kit Review
- BundleFest is coming - Get ready for the biggest bundle event of the year
- Team NINJA Announces DEAD OR ALIVE 6 Deluxe Demo, World Championship, and SNK Collaboration
- Bandai Namco Entertainment America Inc. Launches Jump Force; The Ultimate Manga Crossover Extravaganza
- The Escape Room Puzzle Game Themed On The Seven Deadly Sins Will Hit Steam On Feb 28th
- [01Studio] Indie MMORPG - Citywars Savage