Hardware enhancements to the platform include PCH I/O Intelligent Throttling and a Dynamic Power and Thermal Framework which should provide a much more power efficient chipset in the SOC. There are also six ports of PCI-E Gen2 bandwidth for further IO expansion, like M.2 or more USB 3.0 ports. One major area of improvement is in on-die digital signal processor (DSP) which is used to process audio at the digital level.
While Haswell introduced Intel's first dedicated DSP core in the PCH, Broadwell improves upon Haswell's design by supporting Waves/DTS post processing and a cool Wake on Voice feature. It also seems to reduce audio processing power efficiency as we will see shortly.
Intel is also introducing their second generation Wireless 802.11AC 7365 controller. It should feature better throughput, improved reliability and range, and will be in the new M.2 1216 form factor, but will be soldered down. There also seems to be significant power savings with the new generation 802.11AC controller.
Intel is also highlighting their new WiDi v5.1 optimized for 5th Gen Core processors with 4K capabilities coming soon (through a driver update due by the end of January). We reviewed the new Intel WiDi Adapter shown in the slide above, the Mini2. WiDi v5.1 seems to be a needed improvement from my experience with WiDi in the past, to make it a feasible solution for wireless display.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Specifications]
- Page 2 [New Line-Up]
- Page 3 [5th Gen Core Series Platform Hardware Improvements]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Microsoft, Facebook complete 160Tbps undersea cable
- Apple won't let you download 4K, only stream on Apple TV
- Sony isn't 'entirely comfortable' being VR market leader
- G.SKILL launches 128GB DDR4 RAM kit for Threadripper
- Bethesda pursues long-lasting relationship with Nintendo
- Upgrading USB ports on top of case
- Areca ARC-8050T3 12-Bay Thunderbolt 3 RAID DAS Review
- GA-P67A-UD3P-B3 can't change multiplier past 38, can't change turbo ratio with i5 3570k
- TP-Link Archer C3150 Dual-Band Wireless Router Review
- Using Netgear wndr3700 as router extender problem
- AOC announces retail availability of AGON curved QHD gaming monitor
- Seasonic presents the PRIME Ultra power supplies
- EVGA announces GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 ELITE video card
- G.Skill releases AMD Ryzen-optimized Trident Z RGB DDR4 memory
- Hear the difference feel the beat of the DRUM