Lite-On have done an excellent job with their two newest optical burning drives and if you're on the market for a DVD burner, you should definitely have a closer look at the offerings from Lite-On. It's going to be up to you if you want to spend the extra money on buying something that can perform Dual Layer burning but at the moment the media is expensive and hard to find (this holds true in Australia) and the burn time is slow.
The 1213S is a great burner but as you can see when compared to the 8X burn time on the 832S there really isn't too much of a difference. If you're looking for a burner now we would recommend looking at the 12X but if you are thinking about upgrading from your current 8X we wouldn't recommend it as the speed difference really doesn't warrant the purchase. We hope to take a look at Lite-On's brand new 16X DVD burner soon which we would be confident in saying would be worth the jump from your existing 8x or slower burner.
While the media included was only rated for 8X it didn't have any problem burning at 12X which was really good news. It was annoying to find that Lite-On didn't include 12X media specifically but the fact that the 8X media doesn't have any problems was good enough for us. Keep in mind just because our no-name media rated at 8X was able to burn at 12X it does not mean any 8X media you pickup will be able to do the same. Check around first before you buy to be safe.
The 832S is one of the latest burners on the market and has the ability to burn Dual Layer which is great as it almost doubles the amount of data you can store on a single disk to around the 8GB mark. When it comes to backing up DVD movies this is where you are going to see the greatest benefit. Some movies might have 40% or 50% compression on a normal single layer DVD but when writing to a Dual Layer capable disk you can almost get it down to 0% compression. In an environment where you need to backup more then 4GB of data, it can be done cheaper and more reliably then something like a Tape Drive. This is an excellent unit and with the increased data storage on Dual Layer media it adds a number of extra uses which will be well received by all consumers.
Unfortunately the price of Dual Layer media is still expensive. At the time of writing and from a home user perspective, it's probably not the best option at the moment unless you are looking at buying a DVD burner for the first time. And not to forget one of Lite-On's classical features, a quick search at some of our favorite retailers shows us both burners are a good deal cheaper than their nearest competitors.
- Package has all you need to get started
- Dual Layer compatible (832S)
- 12X Burning (1213S)
- Competitively priced (no fuss)
- Typical good Lite-On quality and reliability
- Dual Layer burning is still quite slow 2.4X (832S)
- No included Dual Layer Media (832S)
- 12X media is hard to come by (1213S)
Combined Rating - 9 out of 10 and TweakTown's "MUST HAVE" Best Value Award
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Lite-On DVD Burners - Page 1 [Introduction]
- Lite-On DVD Burners - Page 2 [Lite-On 1213S (12x DVD Burning)]
- Lite-On DVD Burners - Page 3 [Lite-On 832S (Dual Layer Supported)]
- Lite-On DVD Burners - Page 4 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and Write Times]
- Lite-On DVD Burners - Page 5 [Conclusion]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Capcom add 'Torch Man' to the Mega Man 11 boss roster
- Kirby Star Allies: Daroach, Dark Meta Knight & more details
- Breath of the Wild Link joins Mario Kart 8 Deluxe roster
- Dragon Ball Super: Broly Movie Trailer revealed at Comic-Con
- New story trailer released for Insomniac Games' Spider-Man
- MSI X470 Gaming M7 AC (AMD X470) Motherboard Review
- ASROCK C2750D4I BMC Self Test Failure
- OWC Travel Dock Review
- Asrock a320m dgs eveything stuttering even cs go drops 15-20 fps
- Biostar X470GTN Gaming (AMD X470) Motherboard Review
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit