Gimping Watch Dogs On PC, the Start of Trouble for Ubisoft
Over the last 12 months or so, we've seen a massive target being printed onto Ubisoft's back, mostly on the heels of multiple titles under their belt being heavily watered down on PC. It seemed to have started with Ubisoft's biggest new IP in quite a while: Watch Dogs.
Back in June, we were quick to post news that Watch Dogs had heavily modified the graphics within the game, but not for the better. There was a post by someone going by the name "The Worse" on the NeoGAF forums, who created a mod for the game that unlocked all of the extra graphics that were already found in the game, but Ubisoft locked it all away.
This started a real shitstorm online, because a single fact started to become clear: Ubisoft gimped Watch Dogs on PC. This started to see people digging around this single fact, asking one big question: why? There are multiple reasons:
- The PC version would've looked world's better than the Xbox One and PS4 version, with the next-gen consoles only launching six months earlier.
- Watch Dogs was one of the biggest new IPs, with Ubisoft having considerable amounts of marketing behind it. If the PC version killed the next-gen console version, sales would've been hit quite bad.
- The game was made on consoles, with serious issues on the PC as it (even to this day) still has performance problems. The game doesn't scale that well across multiple GPUs, either.
- While in development, Ubisoft prioritized the development of Watch Dogs for the (then upcoming) next-generation consoles, as well as the PC.
- Watch Dogs renders at 900p on the PS4 and 792p on the Xbox One, with both versions pumping just 30FPS.
This was just the start of Ubisoft's march toward rendering at a little over 720p, and hitting 30FPS. But, unfortunately, it got much worse. We're heading into the holiday season, with a bunch of huge games launching from Ubisoft.
PRICING: You can find Watch Dogs for PC for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing but can change at any time. Click the link to see the very latest pricing for the best deal.
United States: Watch Dogs for PC retails for $29.95 at Amazon.
Last updated: Apr 7, 2020 at 12:33 pm CDT
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.com
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.co.uk
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.com.au
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.ca
Deutschland: Finde andere Technik- und Computerprodukte wie dieses auf Amazon.de
- Page 1 [Ubisoft & Watch Dogs, Gimping It For PC Gamers]
- Page 2 [The Past Week, It's Been Fun, But Not For Ubisoft]
- Page 3 [There are Billions of Dollars at Stake Here, Folks]
- Page 4 [Console Gaming is Expensive & Subscription-Based Steam Box: Come at me, Bro]