E5-2600 v3 Architectural Overview
What are the key differences between E5-2600 v2 and E5-2600 v3 processors? Intel has upped the core count from a max of 12 cores on the v2 processors to a max of 18 cores on the v3 processors.
Frequency adjustments have changed from TDP and Turbo, only on the E5 v2 processors, to TDP, Turbo Frequency, and added AVX and AVX Turbo frequencies on the E5 v3's. AVX support and been updated from AVX 1 which was 8 DP (double point) Flops/Clock/Core to AVX2 and 16 DP (double point precision) Flops/Clock/Core.
Memory types have switched from 4x DDR3 Channels RDIMM, UDIMM, and LRDIMM, to 4x DDR4 Channels RDIMM and LRDIMM. Memory Frequency (MHz) has improved from DDR3 1866 (1DPC), 1600, 1333, 1066, to DDR4 operating frequency:
RDIMM: 2133 (1DPC), 1866 (2DPC), 1600
LRDIMM: 2133 (1&2DPC), 1600
In addition, the updated memory controller now supports DDR4, and now has two home agents in more SKU's and directory cache. This increases memory bandwidth and power efficiency, provides greater socket BW with more outstanding requests, and lower average memory latency.
LLC now has Cluster on Die (COD) mode with improved LLC allocation policy, and cache allocation monitoring (Intel Cache Allocation Technology (CAT)). These new additions help to increase performance, reduce latency, and improve performance by better application placement in a VM environment.
Intel Cache Allocation Technology (CAT) enables control over the placement of data in the last-level cache, allowing you to isolate and contain misbehaving threads/apps/VMs, or prioritize more important ones. This feature is available on five specialized communications SKUs in the Xeon E5 v3 generation in a generation-specific way.
QPI Speed has gone up from 8.0 GT/s to 9.6 GT/s. QPI is the on-die interconnects, on which Haswell-EP now has two fully buffered rings that enable higher core counts, and provide higher bandwidth per core. TDP has also changed from up to 130W Server, 150W Workstation to 145W Server, and 160W Workstation, which is increased due to integrated VR.
Power Management has changed from same P-states for all cores, same core and uncore frequency to: Per-core P-States with independent uncore frequency scaling, and energy efficient turbo boost. This will give better performance per watt, and lower socket idle (package C6) power use.
With Integrated IO-Hub (IIO) the LLC cache will track IIO cache line ownership, and increased PCIe buffers and credits. Overall, this will improve PCIe bandwidth under conflicts (concurrent accesses to the same cache line), and increase PCIe bandwidth, and latency tolerance.
Additions to PCIe 3.0 include DualCast, which allows a single write transaction to multiple targets with relaxed ordering. This will minimize memory channel bandwidth, and enable data sent directly to memory, and on the NTB port to help storage applications that are typically memory bandwidth limited.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [E5-2600 v3 Platform Summary]
- Page 3 [E5-2600 v3 Architectural Overview]
- Page 4 [E5-2600 v3 Architectural Overview Continued]
- Page 5 [Intel Communications Platform]
- Page 6 [Test System Setup]
- Page 7 [System and CPU Benchmarks]
- Page 8 [Memory Benchmarks]
- Page 9 [Power Consumption and Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds will 'soon' get map selection
- Australian High Court REJECTS Valves appeal to $3M fine
- Skyrim Special Edition - 4K and 8K textures mods available
- God of War director reads reviews on video, shows true heart
- Witcher 3 mod allows Geralt to go full Benjamin Button
- FS 40 Pieces Samsung Galaxy S9+ (www.BizFests.com) 128GB $8,520
- Legacy Mode
- Possible Router Issues
- ADATA Premier Memory Cards
- Can't complete BIOS recovery
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit