We first saw the Ali M1683 at Computex 2003. At that time, no fully working samples were available, however, Ali was kind enough to take our details for full reference samples. In 2004 we received our first Ali reference sample of the M1683, and when we saw the implementations they had made, we were somewhat impressed.
The M1683 comes in two parts, as you would expect; the M1683 Northbridge and either the M1563 Southbridge. This Southbridge has been featured on another board from Ali; the ALI K8 chipset. How can this be when AMD64 uses HyperTransport? The M1683 and M1563 chips use a 800MB/s 8-bit HyperTransport link. This makes the Ali offering the second fastest data transfer rate between the bridges.
The M1683 supports the latest Pentium 4 processors including the new Prescott and soon to support LGA775 when it arrives with an 800MHz. According to Ali, it will also support 1000MHz FSB for the next generation Intel Pentium 4 bus along with AGP revision 3.0 specs for 4x and 8x transfer rates.
The memory controller is straight out of its previous generation Pentium 4 chipsets with a simple update to support DDR-400 maximum. Like the VIA and SiS chipsets, the memory controller on the Ali chipset isn't limited to two DIMM slots, a maximum of three can be supported for up to 4GB maximum DDR SDRAM.
The M1563 Southbridge has made its debut alongside its AMD K8 offering. The Southbridge is the first to support HyperTransport and won't be the last according to Ali, however, while having the latest in bus architecture, it lacks some of the additional features that make the VIA and Intel offerings so viable. First off this is a first generation Southbridge without any Serial ATA installed. This means that you won't want to be using Serial ATA hard disks on this chipset unless you get a board with an external SATA chip. The chip does contain a AC'97 Audio controller for 5.1 audio, built in Flash memory readers for Memory Stick and Secure Digital, the most common flash memory standards for today, as well as a 10/100 Ethernet controller and a six Master PCI bus.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- P4 Budget Chipset - Page 1 [Introduction]
- P4 Budget Chipset - Page 2 [The Chipsets - Intel i848P]
- P4 Budget Chipset - Page 3 [The Chipsets - VIA PT800]
- P4 Budget Chipset - Page 4 [The Chipsets - SiS 648FX]
- P4 Budget Chipset - Page 5 [The Chipsets - Ali M1683]
- P4 Budget Chipset - Page 6 [The Reference Boards]
- P4 Budget Chipset - Page 7 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and SiSoft]
- P4 Budget Chipset - Page 8 [Benchmarks - PCMark04]
- P4 Budget Chipset - Page 9 [Benchmarks - 3DMark03]
- P4 Budget Chipset - Page 10 [Benchmarks - Media Encoding]
- P4 Budget Chipset - Page 11 [Benchmarks - Aquamark3]
- P4 Budget Chipset - Page 12 [Benchmarks - Halo PC]
- P4 Budget Chipset - Page 13 [Benchmarks - Jedi Knight II]
- P4 Budget Chipset - Page 14 [Benchmarks - Unreal Tournament 2003]
- P4 Budget Chipset - Page 15 [Conclusion]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- 1 hour of gameplay footage released for Forza Horizon 4
- VirtualLink: next-gen VR over a single USB Type-C cable
- World of Warcraft expansions, now only a $15 subscription
- Dauntless passes 2 million players, new expansion next month
- COD: Black Ops 4 Zombie trailer, undead tigers/time travel
- HyperX Pulsefire Surge RGB Gaming Mouse Review
- ASRock Phantom Gaming Radeon RX 550 - can it run silent?
- Unlock Outlook PST Recovery Tool
- ASRock Z370 Extreme4 produces a high-frequency sound
- Thin, Light & Narrow Bezel, MSI GS65 Gaming NB Review
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit