The VIA PT800 chipset was released before the PT880 as you can guess by the name. In fact, the PT800 was VIA's first truly "legal" Pentium 4 chipset not under embargo by Intel. While VIA has had its P4X series chipsets, these have been under fire in the courts, and not many motherboard companies dared to take on Intel with the VIA offerings. Now that all has been settled, VIA chipsets for the Pentium 4 processors are set to hit the market and the PT800 looks to have what the budget users need.
The PT800 set is comprised of the PT800 Northbridge and either VIA's VT8235 or the VT8237 Southbridge. VIA uses its proprietary V-Link connection running at 533MB/s to interlink the North and Southbridge, being one of the fastest and most bandwidth available links on the market.
The PT800 is the first chipset from VIA to officially support the three main features Intel Pentium 4 chipsets require today: 800MHz FSB, DDR-400 and Hyper-Threading. While VIA claims support for DDR-400 on the older P4X400, we were never able to get it to work with any of our modules. This chipset, we are happy to say, worked with every module we tested without any compatibility issues. This also marks the first chipset from VIA to support Hyper-Threading Technology. While there is still debate whether or not Hyper-Threading is of benefit, if the feature is there it is nice to see it supported. AGP8x also makes its way into the PT800 as revision 3.0 specifications are indeed needed for today's high level graphics cards.
The memory controller on the PT800 is actually a borrowed design from the KT600. What do we mean? Faststream64. Faststream64 is VIA's new memory controller enhancement designed to reduce memory latency times in order to boost the KT600's performance to that of the nForce2, while it wasn't able to live up to these claims, it certainly does make a huge difference to memory performance for the KT600. Can it do it for the PT800?
The Southbridge of choice for the PT800 is, of course, the VT8237. This Southbridge debuted with the KT600 chipset to be the first to bring native Serial ATA support to the AMD Athlon XP platform. With eight USB 2.0 ports, 10/100 Ethernet as well as Serial ATA RAID support at the same price as the older VT8235, it is definitely the way to go.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- P4 Budget Chipset - Page 1 [Introduction]
- P4 Budget Chipset - Page 2 [The Chipsets - Intel i848P]
- P4 Budget Chipset - Page 3 [The Chipsets - VIA PT800]
- P4 Budget Chipset - Page 4 [The Chipsets - SiS 648FX]
- P4 Budget Chipset - Page 5 [The Chipsets - Ali M1683]
- P4 Budget Chipset - Page 6 [The Reference Boards]
- P4 Budget Chipset - Page 7 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and SiSoft]
- P4 Budget Chipset - Page 8 [Benchmarks - PCMark04]
- P4 Budget Chipset - Page 9 [Benchmarks - 3DMark03]
- P4 Budget Chipset - Page 10 [Benchmarks - Media Encoding]
- P4 Budget Chipset - Page 11 [Benchmarks - Aquamark3]
- P4 Budget Chipset - Page 12 [Benchmarks - Halo PC]
- P4 Budget Chipset - Page 13 [Benchmarks - Jedi Knight II]
- P4 Budget Chipset - Page 14 [Benchmarks - Unreal Tournament 2003]
- P4 Budget Chipset - Page 15 [Conclusion]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- AMD EPYC Rome: 64C/128T processor teased at 2.35GHz
- Samsung Galaxy F rumors: March 2019, costs up to $1770
- Capcom may continue cloud-based Switch games
- Fire Emblem Heroes makes 72% of Nintendo's mobile revenue
- Obsidian excited about Game Pass, wants to redefine RPGs
- Q87m-e/csm & ddr3 1600 ram
- Intel Core i9-9980XE Extreme Edition Review
- Convert MBOX File Format to PST Format
- OLM to PST Converter
- 'Ring of Elysium' launches three-tier security system
- eZuce Vibe is Powered by Oracle Cloud and Now Available in the Oracle Cloud Marketplace
- GlobalSign Launches Global Partner Program to Advance Enterprise Growth
- ADAMA and Pessl Instruments Signed Agreement for Global Partnership
- TYAN Showcases HPC, Storage and Cloud Server Platforms