We knew going into this article that the Seagate Desktop 6TB would most likely take the performance crown for two drives in RAID, but as much as that is true, it is also good to see the 5TB was right there with it every step of the way.
In fact, there really is not much of a performance difference by adding another platter, and by that same token, there is no loss of performance either. What we do know is this latest generation of drives from Seagate holds a tremendous performance boost in single drive and RAID over the previous 4TB solution.
The performance jump is so big that when reviewing the 6TB model a month back, I recommended everyone dump their old drives and buy the 6TB, a statement I still stand by today. As easy as that sounds, I know many cannot simply run out and purchase another drive on a whim, but for those that can, this new generation of drives from Seagate packs a serious punch for your dollar.
MSRP for the 4TB Desktop HDD used in today's article sits at $179.99, while the 6TB comes in at $299.99. Finally yet importantly, we have the 5TB that as you know is a bit tricky to come by, but comes in at $249.99.
All consumer hard drives from Seagate ship with a two-year warranty.
PRICING: You can find the Seagate Desktop HDDs for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing but can change at any time. Click the link to see the very latest pricing for the best deal.
United States: The Seagate Desktop HDD 4TB retails for $143.50 at Amazon, and the Seagate Desktop HDD 6TB retails for $299.99 at Amazon.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Test System Setup]
- Page 2 [Benchmarks - 4K Random Performance & Latency]
- Page 3 [Benchmarks - Sequential Performance & Latency]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- AMD rumored to launch 7nm Navi GPUs on 7/7
- Get caught up in 'Girl in the Spider's Web' Blu-ray giveaway
- Activision: Destiny was tying up our resources
- Activision cut jobs to focus on monetization as well as dev
- Anthem's epic skins cost $8.50 a piece
- Z77X-UD5H Bios Issue When Setting CPU Multiplier Above 44
- Resident Evil 2 Remake Review: Fright Night
- HELP !!!! ASROCK Z77 PRO3 "NON-K OC MENU" disappeared :-(
- GeIL Super Luce RGB Sync DDR4-3200 16GB Memory Kit Review
- ASRock Multi-Gigabit Performance: 10GbE/5GbE/2.5G Networking
- New Screenshots for ShaRkPG, Maneater | PC Version to Support NVIDIA Ansel Technology
- The world's first judicial friendship simulator takes to Kickstarter in Supreme Courtship!
- Cupid hits Ring of Elysium with Valentine's Day event
- New Gameplay Video for World-Shaping RTS Bannermen Released
- Nokia launches Cognitive Collaboration Hubs to help operators design 5G networks and create AI-enabled use cases