We knew going into this article that the Seagate Desktop 6TB would most likely take the performance crown for two drives in RAID, but as much as that is true, it is also good to see the 5TB was right there with it every step of the way.
In fact, there really is not much of a performance difference by adding another platter, and by that same token, there is no loss of performance either. What we do know is this latest generation of drives from Seagate holds a tremendous performance boost in single drive and RAID over the previous 4TB solution.
The performance jump is so big that when reviewing the 6TB model a month back, I recommended everyone dump their old drives and buy the 6TB, a statement I still stand by today. As easy as that sounds, I know many cannot simply run out and purchase another drive on a whim, but for those that can, this new generation of drives from Seagate packs a serious punch for your dollar.
MSRP for the 4TB Desktop HDD used in today's article sits at $179.99, while the 6TB comes in at $299.99. Finally yet importantly, we have the 5TB that as you know is a bit tricky to come by, but comes in at $249.99.
All consumer hard drives from Seagate ship with a two-year warranty.
PRICING: You can find the Seagate Desktop HDDs for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing but can change at any time. Click the link to see the very latest pricing for the best deal.
United States: The Seagate Desktop HDD 4TB retails for $143.50 at Amazon, and the Seagate Desktop HDD 6TB retails for $299.99 at Amazon.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Test System Setup]
- Page 2 [Benchmarks - 4K Random Performance & Latency]
- Page 3 [Benchmarks - Sequential Performance & Latency]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Shazam's first trailer injects fun, and color into the DCEU
- DC unleashes first Aquaman trailer during SDCC 2018
- GeForce GTX 1170 benchmark surfaces, faster than GTX 1080 Ti
- Escape the 'Isle of Dogs' in our Blu-ray giveaway!
- Apple's new MacBook Pro SEVERELY THROTTLES from Core i9 heat
- Z97X-SLI doesn't recognize NVME-SSD
- Design a Colorful SSD contest
- NZXT Kraken M22 CPU Cooler Review
- Question about ASROCK 970 Extreme3 1.0
- MSI X470 Gaming M7 AC (AMD X470) Motherboard Review
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit