Plextor's M5M Series mSATA SATA III SSD is available in three capacity sizes: 64GB, 128GB, and 256GB. Specifications list the 256GB M5M as having a bandwidth performance of up to 540 MB/s sequential read and up to 430 MB/s sequential write. 4kB random read performance is listed at up to 79,000 IOPS, and 4kB random write performance is listed at up to 77,000 IOPS. Plextor guarantees its M5M series for an industry-standard 3 years.
Because this is a RAID review, we are going to focus on performance rather than features. For a more in-depth look at the Plextor M5M's feature set, I will refer you to Chris Ramseyer's extensive review of Plextor's M5M mSATA Series SSD.
Drive Details – Plextor M5M 256GB mSATA SSD
Plextor packages its M5M in a clear plastic clamshell container. There is a manufacturer's sticker on top of the container that advertises the drive's capacity, date of manufacture, and performance metrics.
This side of the drive's tiny PCB has a manufacturer's sticker that lists the drive's capacity, shipping firmware, model number, serial number, and various relevant pieces of information. Under this sticker is the drive's Marvell 88SS9187 flash controller and two 64GB 19nm Toshiba flash packages.
On this side of the drive's PCB, we find two more flash packages, a 512MB DDR3-1333 DRAM package, and a firmware chip.
Test System Setup
- Drive Properties
The majority of our testing is performed with our test drive/array as our boot volume. Our boot volume is 75 percent full for all OS Disk "C" drive testing to mimic a typical consumer OS volume implementation. We are using 64k stripes for our 2-3 drive arrays and 32k stripes for our 4-6 drive arrays. Write caching is enabled, and Windows buffer flushing is disabled.
All of our testing includes charting the performance of a single drive as well as RAID 0 arrays of our test subjects. We are utilizing Windows 8.1 64-bit for all of our testing.
PRICING: You can find Plextor's M5M (256GB) for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing but can change at any time. Click the link to see the very latest pricing for the best deal.
United States: The Plextor M5M (256GB) retails for $179.86 at Amazon.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Drive Details, Test System Setup, Drive Properties, Pricing and Availability]
- Page 3 [Synthetic Benchmarks – ATTO, Anvil Storage Utilities, CrystalDiskMark & AS SSD]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks (Trace Based OS Volume) - PCMark Vantage, PCMark 7 & PCMark 8]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks (Secondary Volume) – Disk Response & Transfer Rates]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks (Secondary Volume) – PCMark 8 Extended]
- Page 7 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- SK Hynix announces GDDR6, offers up to 14Gbps of bandwidth
- Nintendo shows off most downloaded eShop games
- Battlefield 1: Apocalypse DLC details aerial dogfights
- Nintendo Switch sells 1.5 million units last month
- Epic Games doubts the success of their own MOBA Paragon
- NVIDIA's next-gen TITAN X should rock 16GB GDDR6 at 14Gbps
- SuperData Analyst Interview on Call of Duty: WWII Success
- GIGABYTE Z370XP SLI (Intel Z370) Motherboard Review
- The GIGABYTE Z370N WIFI (Intel Z370) Motherboard Review
- noblechairs ICON Series Real Leather Gaming Chair Review
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit
- Colorful Announces iGame GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Vulcan X Top
- Gainward Announces its GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series