Native nVidia nForce 3 250
We couldn't stress enough the importance of native off-PCI devices in our recent nForce 3 250 review and if you haven't had the chance to look at it or you can't be bothered we will give you a better understanding of how native devices offer us better bandwidth.
- Benefits of Native
In the past and present network controllers, hard disk controllers and so on operate off the PCI bus. The PCI bus has a maximum transfer rate of 133MB/s which while was okay in the past is not so great these days due to Serial ATA drives in a non RAID situation having a maximum transfer rate of 150MB/s.
When you come to RAID'ing drives the maximum transfer rate then theoretically becomes 300MB/s and as you can figure out you are well and truly passing what the maximum bandwidth of the PCI Bus can produce just on the hard drive side of things
When something goes native, in this case the Serial ATA controller, it moves to the MCP chipset which is the central chip for everything on the motherboard. The bandwidth available here is much greater and for this reason you are removing a bottleneck that was previously offered in the limited PCI bus architecture.
When it comes to testing we should begin to see quite a large jump in hard drive performance over the PCI controller cards thanks to the native offering which has the big bandwidth pipe available to make full use of Serial ATA RAID. Apart from hard drive controllers being native the only other piece of hardware that is also making use of this technology to the mainstream market is Gigabit Networking. Due to the theoretical speed being so much greater then conventional 10/100 networking it had to be moved from the PCI bus for any advantage to be seen - just as nVidia was first to do with their nForce 3 250 chipset.
We will see in just a moment how native hard drive controllers pair against ones running through the PCI bus. We should see a jump in performance but at the moment we are simply just reading numbers that might not give us any real performance gain.
- BIOS Setup Photos
Finally we move onto the nForce 3 250 RAID setup. Let's see if onboard RAID is any easier to setup.
Here we select the RAID we want, Striping Block size and the drives we want to add.
Once that has been done you simply click F7 for finish and press Y so it clears any current array you have setup, if you have one setup.
That's it - two steps later and your RAID setup is ready to go. The easiest setup by far out of all the controllers, nVidia has done an excellent job with their setup utility.
You can continue to press enter on the RAID array to get a bit more information on the setup you are using.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Serial ATA RAID Controllers - Page 1 [Introduction]
- Serial ATA RAID Controllers - Page 2 [Western Digital SATA RAID]
- Serial ATA RAID Controllers - Page 3 [Adaptec 1210SA]
- Serial ATA RAID Controllers - Page 4 [Highpoint 1640]
- Serial ATA RAID Controllers - Page 5 [Native nVidia nForce 3 250]
- Serial ATA RAID Controllers - Page 6 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup & SiSoft Sandra 2004]
- Serial ATA RAID Controllers - Page 7 [Benchmarks - PCMark 2002]
- Serial ATA RAID Controllers - Page 8 [Benchmarks - HD Tach 3.00 BETA]
- Serial ATA RAID Controllers - Page 9 [Benchmarks - X-Bit Labs FC Test]
- Serial ATA RAID Controllers - Page 10 [Benchmarks - Boot Time & 3DMark 2001]
- Serial ATA RAID Controllers - Page 11 [Conclusion]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Scoop 12% off Fallout 76 Bethesda keys for PC
- ABZU will be taking a dive into the Nintendo Switch, Nov 29
- 'Fortuna' update brings Warframe new concurrent gamer high
- Game of the Year 2018 nominees: 6 games worth playing
- Insomniac release Spider-Man DLC 2 trailer 'Turf Wars'
- EML to PST Converter
- ASRock DeskMini 310 SFF PC Review
- Q87m-e/csm & ddr3 1600 ram
- Intel Core i9-9980XE Extreme Edition Review
- Convert MBOX File Format to PST Format
- 'Ring of Elysium' launches three-tier security system
- eZuce Vibe is Powered by Oracle Cloud and Now Available in the Oracle Cloud Marketplace
- GlobalSign Launches Global Partner Program to Advance Enterprise Growth
- ADAMA and Pessl Instruments Signed Agreement for Global Partnership
- TYAN Showcases HPC, Storage and Cloud Server Platforms