Wireless 11g Continued
Now we move to the notebook Wireless g, that's right, MSI hasn't forgotten the mobile users. While Centrino units now have built in 802.11b wireless LAN, if you want to go to "g", you will need to either take out the internal "b" card or insert a "g" card. The other option is, and is for users of laptops without any wireless LAN to use the Cardbus adapter. MSI packs the unit in a similar Wireless g box with the Cardbus adapter logo on the front. Inside you simply get a driver disk and an information manual, as installation is just to plug the card into a free PCMCIA 32bit expansion slot, available on 99% of all laptops now.
The Cardbus unit itself is rather compact. MSI has placed all the circuitry under a metal protective layer to prevent EMI distortion within the wireless signal or the PC.
One cool feature is the Active and Link LEDs. The Active LED comes on when the unit has been detected within Windows and the OS has made a bus link. The Link LED flashes when sending or receiving data from the Network and the coolest part is the fact that MSI has used blue laser LEDs, which do look great in the dark.
One of the best features of the Wireless range MSI delivers is the SAP or Software Access Point program. If you don't have a hardware access point, you can use one of the PC's with the MSI Wireless controllers as an Access Point. You simply setup an AP name, IP parameters and any other wireless device can connect to your PC. This comes in especially handy if you want to share your broadband with other PC's in your home and don't want to sell out for a hardware Access Point router type device.
Overall the MSI Wireless G series was a great success with the Software AP making it the top of the range for a wireless setup.
Supports 54mbps transfer rates
Backwards compatible with 802.11b hardware
Software Access Point program eliminates need for Hardware Access Point
No compatibility with 802.11a
Rating - 9.5 out of 10 and TweakTown's "MUST HAVE" Editor's Choice Award
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- MSI Mania - Page 1 [Introduction]
- MSI Mania - Page 2 [The Products - Mega Stick]
- MSI Mania - Page 3 [The Products - Mega Stick Continued]
- MSI Mania - Page 4 [The Products - MSI 8x DVD Recorder]
- MSI Mania - Page 5 [The Products - Wireless 11g]
- MSI Mania - Page 6 [The Products - Wireless 11g Continued]
- MSI Mania - Page 7 [Final Words]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- GeIL add the Super Luce RGB Lite Series to their range
- Ethereum could replace Visa networks, even game servers
- Google Pixel 2 teased in 'Kinda Blue', starts at $649
- Google Pixelbook: Surface competitor starts at $1199
- Biostar's upcoming RACING Z370 GT7 motherboard teased
- Plextor M8Se 256GB & 512GB NVMe PCIe SSD Review
- ad240ehdgmbox on m3a785gmh/128m mainboard?
- 8K benched: RX Vega 64 vs. GTX 1080 Ti vs. TITAN Xp SLI
- AMD X399 TR4 Threadripper Motherboard Buyer's Guide
- Gigabyte System Information Viewer
- In Win Launches 'Wood-infused' 305 Mid-Tower PC Chassis
- Micron appoints Anand Jayapalan as Storage Business Unit Vice President
- Bluehole, Inc and Microsoft announce expanded partnership for PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds
- Optimize system performance with new drive adapter
- Lian Li reveals new PC-Q39 tempered glass Mini-ITX tower