MSI DR8-A Dual Format 8x DVD Recorder
Before we take a look at the drive itself, here are the specifications of the MSI DR8-A DVD Recorder.
8x DVD+R writing / 4x DVD+RW rewriting
4x DVD-R writing / 2x DVD-RW rewriting / 12x DVD-ROM reading
40x CD-R writing / 24x CD-RW rewriting / 40x CD-ROM reading
BURN-Proof prevents buffer underrun and minimizes recording failures
Supported over-burn feature
Supported 99 (870MB) or 90min (800MB) CD-R disc
Supported 8cm or 12cm disc diameter
2MB internal buffer
Enhanced IDE/ATAPI interface
PIO Mode 4, DMA Mode 2 and UDMA Mode 2
Horizontal and vertical operation
Supported optimum power control
Supported DVD+R write speed at 2.4x, 4x and 8x
Supported DVD+RW write speed at 2.4x and 4x
Supported DVD-R write speed at 1x, 2x and 4x
Supported DVD-RW write speed at 1x and 2x
Supported CD-R write speed at 4x, 8x, 16x, 24x, 32x and 40x
Supported CD-RW write speed at 4x, 8x, 12x, 16x and 24x
Supported HD-BURN CD-R write speed at 6x, 12x, 18x and 24x
- The Drive
The DR8-A from MSI is packed within a green box, which is now becoming the standard colour for MSI DVD drives. The unit is easily distinguishable with the big DVD +-R/RW logo on the front. This is actually MSI's second DVD recorder drive. This unit is simply the older unit with support for 8x DVD+R recording. It's important to keep in mind these write speeds are only for +R and not -R media. Don't expect to get this unit and run the -R media at 8x.
MSI only packs a small bundle with the drive, but this bundle is exactly what is needed to start you off on your DVD writing adventures. Nero Burning Rom v 5.5 is included which contains support for DVD recording. Sonic MyDVD and Showbiz are included for editing Digital Video to create your own DVD videos from Digital Cameras and other digital media sources. One Blank DVD+R 8x media is included for you to create your first 8x DVD+R project. A small user manual that explains how to connect the drive to the PC is also included but no detailed instructions on how to use the drive are included, as that comes included under the recording software.
In this picture you can see the drive itself. As you would expect from a CD unit there is nothing special that puts this drive apart from the rest on the market. On the front is the standard stop/eject button along with a play/skip button for audio playback as well as your headphone jack and volume control. On the back you have your power, IDE and audio connectors, in all a no-brainer to setup.
Overall the drive was a pleasure to setup and with Nero included with the unit, you all just about everything you will need to get yourself started.
8x DVD+R recording
Supports Both + and - recording formats
Supports HD Burn
Supports CD-99 and CD-90 formats
ATA-33 IDE transfer rate for faster recording
Only version 5.5 of Nero included
Rating - 9 out of 10
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- MSI Mania - Page 1 [Introduction]
- MSI Mania - Page 2 [The Products - Mega Stick]
- MSI Mania - Page 3 [The Products - Mega Stick Continued]
- MSI Mania - Page 4 [The Products - MSI 8x DVD Recorder]
- MSI Mania - Page 5 [The Products - Wireless 11g]
- MSI Mania - Page 6 [The Products - Wireless 11g Continued]
- MSI Mania - Page 7 [Final Words]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Dynasty Warriors 8 Xtreme Legends - West Switch release
- Samsung should unveil dual-screen, foldable phone NEXT MONTH
- Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 gets into the Halloween spirit
- Devil May Cry 5 Ultra Limited Edition costs $8600
- Epic delays full free-to-play version of Fortnite into 2019
- Buffalo Linkstation 520 2-Bay NAS Review
- How To Find Out Motherboard?
- I'm in a gaming rut please help.
- GIGABYTE Z390 Aorus Master (Intel Z390) Motherboard Review
- Tesla vs Lovecraft Pre-Orders Start on iOS - Release date is 25th Oct
- Meet the animals of Farming Simulator 19 in this brand new gameplay trailer!
- Soulcalibur VI Out Tomorrow
- Battlezone Brings Epic Four-Player Tank Combat To Nintendo Switch Next Month
- F1 Mobile Racing Out Now on iPhone and iPad