When Can I go BTX? How long will it take to become the Standard?
With BTX you need to consider what your needs are in upgrading your system. If you are looking to take advantage of both PCI Express and Serial ATA while losing legacy support, you will probably be one of the first to switch to a BTX motherboard. BTX motherboards like that will most likely come to market in the latter half of the second quarter of 2004. However, if motherboard manufacturers other than Intel produce BTX motherboards, there will be a possibility that legacy components will be contained on the motherboard and you could be able to switch even earlier than buyers looking to rid themselves of legacy I/O if other manufacturers, besides Intel, come to market with BTX products first.
The question of BTX adoption as a dominant standard form factor is one that cannot be answered specifically. A general time frame of three years can be expected by considering the adoption of ATX as the defacto motherboard standard. Three years is a lengthy timeframe but a possible one if rapid buying of the first BTX motherboards, strong acceptance by OEM manufacturers, and Small Form Factor builders all occur early on in the introduction of BTX.
It is a definitely a long shot to see a massive progression to BTX without relative performance of the thermal module's cooling and noise reduction level displaying it's supposed superiority. Hopefully Intel will allow us to bring you performance numbers in the near future to help those of you interested in switching to BTX whenever it comes to market.
Is the end user ready to switch to BTX? Probably not, but that's only due to the somewhat adequate cooling of today's systems. However, with each new Intel [and AMD or whoever else] processor requiring a hefty increase in cooling requirements and no sign of slowing down without slowing the increase in processor performance, there are the telltale signs of the need for changes to improve system cooling and reducing noise levels.
BTX will be able to address these concerns without hesitation and offer system builders the opportunity to have higher performance and even smaller systems available to the consumer market.
Finally, I want to give a big thanks to John Saito and George Alfs at Intel. George is my only contact with Intel and through him I was able to get answers to my numerous questions about BTX. The man who answered these questions was John Saito, who I believe is involved with BTX development. Without his answers, this article wouldn't have been possible, or, at least, it would have simply been a regurgitation of information that has been floating around for months.
Stay tuned in the coming months for more coverage of BTX!
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Balance Technology Extended - Page 1 [Introduction]
- Balance Technology Extended - Page 2 [Cooling - The Thermal Module]
- Balance Technology Extended - Page 3 [BTX Forms, Backpanel I/O, etc]
- Balance Technology Extended - Page 4 [BTX Power Supplies, etc]
- Balance Technology Extended - Page 5 [When Can I go BTX? and Conclusion]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Disney Pixar release short film 'Bao' - A Mother & Son story
- Warframe: Fortuna the Profit-Taker debuts to PC, out now
- Steam Winter Sale starts Dec 20th, Award Nominees released
- Switch beats Xbox One/PS4 sales from: March 2017-Nov 2018
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate: 3 million units sold in 11 days
- I have a serious problem with audio on my new x470 taichi motherboard
- supplement4reviews com/keto-burn-xtreme-reviews/
- AdMaster: 79% of China advertisers to increase digital marketing spend in 2019
- Safety Laser Scanner Market Worth $406 Million by 2023 - Exclusive Report by MarketsandMarkets
- Archer Ascension Now Available in Black Desert Online SEA
- Back to Ubersreik DLC is now available on Xbox One and PlayStation 4
- Ark: Survival Evolved Transformed Into A Winter Wonderland With The Arrival Of Raptor Claus