Test System Setup
Processor(s): AMD Athlon FX-51
Motherboard: Asus SK8V (Supplied by ASUS)
Memory: Corsair TwinXRE3200LL (Supplied by Corsair)
Video Card(s): ASUS 9800XT 256MB, ASUS V9980U 256MB, ATi Radeon 9800 XT 256MB and HIS Excalibur 9800 Pro IceQ 128MB
Hard Disk(s): 2x Western Digital Raptors (RAID0)
Sound Card: Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Platinum
Operating System Used: Windows XP Professional SP1
Drivers Used: ATi 3.10 and nVidia 53.03
After installation we were met with whirring sounds only audible from our CPU and case fans - the 9800 XT and V9980U seemed virtually quiet. However, upon thorough testing and benchmarking, they kicked into high gear and proved to be slightly louder than the HSF found on ATi's own Radeon 9800 XT and Radeon 9800 Pro. However, having two smaller fans pin-pointing specific areas on the graphic card's PCB does prove itself as a more effective cooling solution.
Benchmarking both cards was enjoyable; we thoroughly examined performance under extreme operating conditions, then picked and stabbed at them both to find their strengths and weaknesses.
3DMark03 is the latest version of the highly favoured 3DMark series. By combining full DirectX9.0 support with completely new tests and graphics, 3DMark03 continues the legacy of being industry standard benchmark.
Please Note: Due to recent events with the 3DMark03 series, we are adding results purely for those who are still in favor of 3DMark03. These results should not be taken too seriously and are only added for interest sakes.
Here ASUS's V9980U barely surpasses its three competitors.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- ASUS 9800 XT and FX 5950 Ultra - Page 1 [Introduction]
- ASUS 9800 XT and FX 5950 Ultra - Page 2 [The Bundles]
- ASUS 9800 XT and FX 5950 Ultra - Page 3 [Accessories and Software]
- ASUS 9800 XT and FX 5950 Ultra - Page 4 [Cooling and Design]
- ASUS 9800 XT and FX 5950 Ultra - Page 5 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and 3DMark03]
- ASUS 9800 XT and FX 5950 Ultra - Page 6 [Benchmarks - Aquamark 3 and Halo PC]
- ASUS 9800 XT and FX 5950 Ultra - Page 7 [Benchmarks - Jedi Knight II]
- ASUS 9800 XT and FX 5950 Ultra - Page 8 [Benchmarks - Prince of Persia and High Detail AA / AF]
- ASUS 9800 XT and FX 5950 Ultra - Page 9 [Conclusion]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Monster Hunter World launches January 2018
- Left Alive is Square Enix's shot at survival mech action
- Rocket League Autumn Update available September 28
- Synology introduces new XS, Value and Series NAS
- ASUS introduce the ROG Strix Fusion 300 gaming headset
- ad240ehdgmbox on m3a785gmh/128m mainboard?
- 8K benched: RX Vega 64 vs. GTX 1080 Ti vs. TITAN Xp SLI
- AMD X399 TR4 Threadripper Motherboard Buyer's Guide
- Gigabyte System Information Viewer
- ASRock X399 Professional Gaming Motherboard Review
- In Win Launches 'Wood-infused' 305 Mid-Tower PC Chassis
- Micron appoints Anand Jayapalan as Storage Business Unit Vice President
- Bluehole, Inc and Microsoft announce expanded partnership for PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds
- Optimize system performance with new drive adapter
- Lian Li reveals new PC-Q39 tempered glass Mini-ITX tower