BIOS & Operating System Installation
After a successful installation of your desired upgrades, you are ready to get into the FUN. First thing's first, one must install one or more special underlying BIOSes in order to proceed with the installation of operating systems. Newer mod chips allow multiple BIOSes to be installed onboard, but maximum built-in storage for the BIOSes is limited to 1MB. Respecting this boundary, we have installed two 512K BIOSes: One BIOS is able to boot backed-up games and is capable of running a modified Xbox dashboard, and the second is a Linux BIOS capable of booting modified Linux distributions (respectively Xecutor and Cromwell). The BIOS installation can be followed through with a simple burn to a DVD-RW/DVD-R/CD-RW, followed by a painless installation with the Xbox.
We have discussed dual-booting on the Xbox, similar to a PC, yet have failed to properly explain this concept thus far. To begin with, instead of booting up your machine and waiting for a multi-selection menu, you actually are able to select your desired OS to boot before you even switch on your Xbox (mod chip permitting). On the front side of the Xbox is a three-toggle board, wired to the internal mod chip, which controls which BIOS/OS you wish to boot through. Once chosen, your Xbox's loaded screen will vary upon your selection, as well as available features and options.
The most successful BIOS and OS relationship available today is the same one enabling one to play their backed-up games (as well as manipulate them in various ways) is the infamous Team Xecutor and Evolution-X team-up. Evolution-X is a frequently-updated operating system specifically designed to take full advantage of game management and third party software support for the Xbox console system. This OS completely replaces the default Microsoft dashboard, as illustrated in the pictures below.
Above, is a picture of a third party software, entitled Px HDD Loader, which allows one to rip their bought Xbox games to the hard drive, and later play them. Below is Evolution-X's settings/system info page, outlining your specific Xbox.
Let's take a closer look now with some screenshots. Continue on!
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Xbox Modding (Part 1) - Page 1 [Introduction]
- Xbox Modding (Part 1) - Page 2 [Modchip History]
- Xbox Modding (Part 1) - Page 3 [How a Modchip Works]
- Xbox Modding (Part 1) - Page 4 [Hardware Installation]
- Xbox Modding (Part 1) - Page 5 [BIOS & Operating System Installation]
- Xbox Modding (Part 1) - Page 6 [Screenshots - Dialup Warning!]
- Xbox Modding (Part 1) - Page 7 [Conclusion]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- NeoGAF goes down, owner embroiled in sexual harrassment
- ASUS ROG Strix GTX 1070 Ti teased with triple-fan cooler
- Bitcoin hits $6000, with $100 billion in value
- Galaxy S9: 6GB RAM, headphone jack is a selling point
- Mass Effect dev: EA only cares about highest returns
- ex58-UD3R rev 1.6
- RAID on a new X370 Fatal1ty Gaming X with m.2 SSDs using a PCIe card.
- LGA-775 GA-EP35-DS3P (rev 2.1), Q9550 e0 overclocking advice please?
- Will the PC-A76 accept a Tyan TYAN S7100 (S7100AG2NR) SSI EEB Mother board?
- MSI Z370 GODLIKE GAMING Motherboard Review
- Introducing the CYBERPOWERPC Crystal Gaming Series Powered By CORSAIR
- COLORFUL Officially Releases iGame Z370 Vulcan X Motherboard in South Korea
- G.SKILL Releases DDR4-3800MHz 32GB (4x8GB) SO-DIMM Memory Kit for Mini-ITX Motherboards
- EK Water Blocks releases new Slim Series kits
- BIOSTAR releases new RACING Z370GT7 motherboard