- VIA K8T800 Northbridge
The K8T800 from VIA Technology was the first chipset to bring performance to the Opteron processor from AMD. With the release of the Athlon 64 and Athlon FX around the corner, the chipset was ready to bring high performance 64-bit computing to everyone... who could afford it.
As far as the competition goes, ALI and SIS both have quite fast chips on their hands at the moment but are let down by very little support from motherboard manufacturers at this present time. In Q1 we should see more and more motherboards supporting these chipsets.
As we mentioned all motherboards feature VIA's K8T800 chipset which while we discovered isn't the fastest available, it does give you everything to get the most out of an Athlon 64 motherboard. While normally the Northbridge would take care of the memory, due to the memory controller being built into the processor it doesn't do as much as it use too and as such the importance of a winning chipset is not solely placed on the Northbridge anymore but the Southbridge also.
- VIA VT8237 Southbridge
The latest Southbridge which we have seen from VIA in a while now is the VT8237 which helps bring VIA Drive Station, VIA Connectivity and VIA Vinyl Audio to the party. VIA Drive Station brings native Serial ATA and Parallel ATA support to your motherboard. This combined with the V Raid tool helps make the setup of Serial ATA hard drives a very easy task.
VIA Vinyl Audio carries with it support for 6 channel and 8 channel sound otherwise respectively known to most people as 5.1 or 7.1 Surround Sound. While this still isn't as good as a totally separate PCI solution (like an Audigy 2), it helps bring higher quality audio onboard than cheaper AC'97 solutions.
Finally VIA Connectivity has everything you need to get all your peripherals up and running including support for up to eight USB 2.0 ports, six PCI slots, 10/100 networking via the VT6103 controller and all the other normal ports you would expect.
Now we've had a brief run down of the chipsets powering all three motherboards, let's take a closer look at our competitors!
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- K8T800 Performance Motherboards - Page 1 [Introduction]
- K8T800 Performance Motherboards - Page 2 [The Chipsets]
- K8T800 Performance Motherboards - Page 3 [Gigabyte K8VNXP - Specifications]
- K8T800 Performance Motherboards - Page 4 [Gigabyte K8VNXP - Features]
- K8T800 Performance Motherboards - Page 5 [MSI K8T Neo - Specifications]
- K8T800 Performance Motherboards - Page 6 [MSI K8T Neo - Features]
- K8T800 Performance Motherboards - Page 7 [ABIT KV8 MAX3 - Specifications]
- K8T800 Performance Motherboards - Page 8 [ABIT KV8 MAX3 - Features]
- K8T800 Performance Motherboards - Page 9 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and SiSoft Sandra MAX3]
- K8T800 Performance Motherboards - Page 10 [Benchmarks - PCMark 2002]
- K8T800 Performance Motherboards - Page 11 [Benchmarks - 3DMark 2001 SE]
- K8T800 Performance Motherboards - Page 12 [Benchmarks - 3DMark 2003]
- K8T800 Performance Motherboards - Page 13 [Benchmarks - Comanche 4]
- K8T800 Performance Motherboards - Page 14 [Benchmarks - Quake III Arena]
- K8T800 Performance Motherboards - Page 15 [Benchmarks - Jedi Knight II - VIA Arena]
- K8T800 Performance Motherboards - Page 16 [Conclusions]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- South Park: The Fractured But Whole trailer for Switch
- Sonic the Hedgehog Twitter teases trailer, will drop today
- Dark Souls Remastered: new trailer and discount announcement
- Far Cry 5 tops game sales for March 2018
- Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus comes to Switch, June 29
- EVGA DG-77 Mid-Tower Chassis Review
- Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD Review
- B360M-ITX/ac does not see USB drive at all
- WD My Passport Wireless SSD 500GB Review
- Legacy Mode
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit