16nm and 3D - Futuristic Flash
Everyone was buzzing about second-generation 20nm Micron flash, L85, at LSI's AIS event. The same is true for Toshiba's second-generation 19nm flash, A19. This is flash though, and the next generation is always around the corner. Micron is already talking about 16nm NAND flash for future SSDs. We're not sure how many NAND die moving from 20nm to 16nm will add to each wafer, but reducing the manufacturing cost for the most expensive part in an SSD is always a good thing.
Samsung has its own ideas about NAND. Samsung's future is vertical. Stacked 24 cell layers high, V-NAND promises to increase performance and reduce power consumption; all while dipping below the company's current 19nm process.
In his The Memory Guy blog, Jim Handy created one of the best 3D NAND information repositories via a series on the subject. If you are interested in learning about 3D NAND and Samsung's new V-NAND, head over for a read.
By shifting from planar 2D NAND to a 3D technology, the pressure is instantly removed from lithographic scaling. Cost reduction is no longer solely determined by shrinking the horizontal patterns on the surface of the chip. Instead, it becomes a factor of how many transistors you can make in a single vertical string.
Although Samsung and Micron have new NAND in production, I don't expect to see 16nm until 2015 or Samsung V-NAND until Samsung SSD Global Summing mid-2014 (as long as neither company runs into issues).
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Sony and Nike make official PS2 shoes
- Games industry may make $170 billion in 2018, firm predicts
- GIGABYTE release new Gemini Lake based J/N motherboards
- God of War director confirms no season pass for the release
- Trailer for Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition released
- Lian-Li PC-O11 WW Feedback and O11 Air Feedback
- Investigation: Benefits to Prioritization Software
- When is a RX570 not a RX570?
- ASRock X370 Gaming-ITX/ac Gaming (AMD X370) Motherboard
- Z270 Extreme 4 post issue
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit
- Colorful Announces iGame GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Vulcan X Top
- Gainward Announces its GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series