- The Chipset
It has been a while since we have seen something from ALI and there is no better time to shine then with the release of a new processor. ALI has decided to come from behind that curtain and give us a taste of what they have been working on. ALI isn't a big contender in the mainstream / enthusiast market and has always concentrated on the cheaper OEM market, which of course is always the biggest as far as turn over goes.
The ALI chipset as you would expect doesn't exactly bring the latest and greatest features to the market and gives off somewhat of an "outdated" design feel.
We are looking at the ALI M1687 in the shape of the Soyo SY-K8USA, which almost has less features then a reference motherboard. It isn't the most exciting Athlon 64 motherboard on the market but it helps bring the ALI M1687 chipset to the end user. It will be interesting to see if it can do anything for us later on in the article when we move onto benchmarking.
- Quick Look
Having a quick look around the very reference looking Soyo based ALI M1687 motherboard we don't find anything out of the ordinary but yet another product that features a purple layout. The Soyo K8USA follows the standard 1/5 AGP/PCI design that is seen amongst most motherboards as well as two PATA and two SATA ports for a maximum of six HDD's.
While not being the most exciting motherboard to look at, it has got a simple purpose that it does just fine.
- I/O Ports
One interesting thing that we found on this motherboard was the inclusion of onboard Firewire. While it's not the biggest thing at the moment some people with DV cameras will like the addition. We have the normal Parallel/Serial ports, 4 X USB and onboard 10/100 networking.
Now we've finished taking a look at all four motherboards, let's put them in the ring for one big ROYAL RUMBLE!
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- A64 Chipset Royal Rumble - Page 1 [Introduction]
- A64 Chipset Royal Rumble - Page 2 [VIA K8T800 - Soltek SL-K8AV-R Specifications]
- A64 Chipset Royal Rumble - Page 3 [VIA K8T800 - Soltek SL-K8AV-R Quick Look]
- A64 Chipset Royal Rumble - Page 4 [SIS 755 - Reference Specifications]
- A64 Chipset Royal Rumble - Page 5 [SIS 755 - Reference Quick Look]
- A64 Chipset Royal Rumble - Page 6 [nVidia nForce 3 - Soltek SL-K8AN-RL Specifications]
- A64 Chipset Royal Rumble - Page 7 [nVidia nForce 3 - Soltek SL-K8AN-R Quick Look]
- A64 Chipset Royal Rumble - Page 8 [ALI M1687 - Soyo SY-K8USA Specifications]
- A64 Chipset Royal Rumble - Page 9 [ALI M1687 - Soyo SY-K8USA Quick Look]
- A64 Chipset Royal Rumble - Page 10 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and SiSoft Sandra]
- A64 Chipset Royal Rumble - Page 11 [Benchmarks - PCMark 2002]
- A64 Chipset Royal Rumble - Page 12 [Benchmarks - 3DMark 2001 SE]
- A64 Chipset Royal Rumble - Page 13 [Benchmarks - 3DMark 2003]
- A64 Chipset Royal Rumble - Page 14 [Benchmarks - Comanche 4]
- A64 Chipset Royal Rumble - Page 15 [Benchmarks - Quake 3]
- A64 Chipset Royal Rumble - Page 16 [Benchmarks - Jedi Knight 2]
- A64 Chipset Royal Rumble - Page 17 [Conclusion]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Sonic the Hedgehog Twitter teases trailer, will drop today
- Dark Souls Remastered: new trailer and discount announcement
- Far Cry 5 tops game sales for March 2018
- Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus comes to Switch, June 29
- LG's new G7 ThinQ brings the stupid notch from iPhone X
- EVGA DG-77 Mid-Tower Chassis Review
- Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD Review
- B360M-ITX/ac does not see USB drive at all
- WD My Passport Wireless SSD 500GB Review
- Legacy Mode
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit