Test System and Methodology
We utilize a new approach to RAID storage testing with our Enterprise Test Bench, designed specifically to target long-term performance with a high level of granularity.
Many testing methods record peak and average measurements during the test period. These average values give a basic understanding of performance, but fall short in providing the clearest view possible of I/O QoS (Quality of Service).
'Average' results do little to indicate the performance variability experienced during actual deployment. The degree of variability is especially pertinent, as many applications can hang or lag as they wait for I/O requests to complete. This testing methodology illustrates performance variability, and includes average measurements, during the measurement window.
While executing a workload, all storage solutions deliver variable levels of performance. While this fluctuation is normal, the degree of variability is what separates enterprise storage solutions from typical client-side hardware. Providing ongoing measurements from our workloads with one-second reporting intervals illustrates product differentiation in relation to I/O QoS. Scatter charts give readers a basic understanding of I/O latency distribution without directly observing numerous graphs.
Consistent latency is the goal of every storage solution, and measurements such as Maximum Latency only illuminate the single longest I/O received during testing. This can be misleading, as a single 'outlying I/O' can skew the view of an otherwise superb solution. Standard Deviation measurements consider latency distribution, but do not always effectively illustrate I/O distribution with enough granularity to provide a clear picture of system performance. We also use latency plots to illustrate latency scaling under various workloads.
The first page of results will provide the 'key' to understanding and interpreting our new test methodology. In replicated environments, RAID 0 can be a compelling choice for bleeding edge performance. RAID 5 provides a layer of data security that protects from the loss of a drive. We are testing both RAID 0 and RAID 5 in this evaluation. This evaluation consists of tests with default settings conducted on a LSI 9271-8i with a direct connection. We conduct our tests over the full LBA range to allow each HDD to highlight its average performance. Short stroking can increase performance at the loss of capacity.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Test System and Methodology]
- Page 3 [RAID 0 4K Random Read/Write]
- Page 4 [RAID 0 128K Sequential Read/Write]
- Page 5 [RAID 0 Database/OLTP and Fileserver]
- Page 6 [RAID 0 Emailserver and Webserver]
- Page 7 [RAID 5 4K Random Read/Write]
- Page 8 [RAID 5 128K Sequential Read/Write]
- Page 9 [RAID 5 Database/OLTP and Fileserver]
- Page 10 [RAID 5 Emailserver and Webserver]
- Page 11 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate: 'The More the Merrier' event
- Nintendo showcase top indie titles, 'Indie Highlights' video
- Leak: Mortal Kombat 11 for Switch scheduled for May 10 debut
- Fry Cry New Dawn story trailer - 'The Father' is now an ally
- Metro Exodus has transforming guns
- Fractal Design Meshify S2 Black Dark TG Mid-Tower Review
- Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD Review - The 96-Layer Refresh
- best 470 board for Windows 7?????????
- Can't connect to my Wifi network
- Need advice and build help
- Introducing The Olympus OM-D E-M1X Offering Unrivaled Speed And System Mobility
- Frontline Workers Frequently Turn to Unapproved Messaging Apps for Work-Related Communications, Unbeknownst to HR
- Tactical Guild Management 'Guilds of Delenar' Coming to Steam Early Access in March
- Nokia to publish fourth-quarter and full-year 2018 report on January 31, 2019
- Miasma Caves Explores Steam Early Access Today