Large SSD arrays are pressed into service in some bleeding edge applications, but the majority of deployments center around small SSD arrays utilized to accelerate existing infrastructure. SSDs are one of the premium tiers of storage in today's datacenter, and the higher cost per GB necessitates intelligent use of the available capacity through caching and tiering models.
Flash products can be used as dedicated storage volumes, but to maximize the benefits of SSDs, many deployments consist of small SSD arrays used as front-ends for large HDD storage pools and SAN's. This can be an easy solution to accelerate the underlying storage and increase CPU utilization in the host system. Deploying the SSDs can be a simple slip-in solution, especially when used in tandem with integrated caching solutions from the leading RAID manufacturers.
The flexibility of smaller arrays also allows their utilization as a replacement for caching data in RAM, providing a higher level of data security due to the non-volatile nature of NAND. All of these deployment models require a solid platform that scales well, providing the best return on investment for administrators.
The Intel DC S3700 series of SSDs came with a renewed focus on latency consistency in enterprise SSDs. While many lower-class SSDs can suffer from significant performance variability, this can be an acceptable trade-off for cost-sensitive applications that do not require maximum performance or RAID usage. For use in RAID environments, these lower quality SSDs can result in significant loss of available performance due to poor scaling.
For those in the market for an upper-tier SSD with superb latency performance, the Intel DC S3700 is a good fit. For the price, it delivers superb latency consistency that equates to a boost in real-life applications. The unique architecture of the LBA mapping tables allows the Intel to operate in a very efficient manner, and the regular cadence of the garbage collection routines keep the SSD within a very tightly defined performance envelope. Surprisingly, these remarkably precise garbage collection routines are even visible when used with eight SSDs in a RAID configuration.
Providing a consistent level of performance allows the Intel DC S3700 Series to provide excellent scaling in RAID configurations. In write intensive applications, the importance of good scaling is especially pertinent. SSDs with significant variability do not scale well in RAID configurations, especially in heavy write workloads. Poor scaling results in an accelerated diminishing point of returns, a frustrating experience for users making significant investments.
The Intel DC S3700 performed well in our testing, and in write-intensive and RAID environments will prove to be a good fit for those in need of a simple means of workload acceleration.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Intel DCS3700 Architecture]
- Page 3 [Adaptec ASR-72405]
- Page 4 [Test System and Methodology]
- Page 5 [RAID 0 4K Random Read/Write]
- Page 6 [RAID 0 8K Random Read/Write]
- Page 7 [RAID 0 128K Sequential Read/Write]
- Page 8 [RAID 0 Database/OLTP and Webserver]
- Page 9 [RAID 5 4K Random Read/Write]
- Page 10 [RAID 5 8K Random Read/Write]
- Page 11 [RAID 5 128K Sequential Read/Write]
- Page 12 [RAID 5 Database/OLTP and Webserver]
- Page 13 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Nintendo discuss Metroid Prime 4/Yoshi/Pokemon progression
- Total War dev Creative Assembly working on tactical FPS
- NVIDIA Tensor Core GPUs power 5 out of 7 best supercomputers
- INSOMNIA: The Ark developers announce new jazzy soundtrack
- Forza Horizon 4 car list leaked, 90GB of pre-load available
- اعطال صيانه تكييفات امريكول (01014723434) اصلاح امري
- GA-Z68AP-D3 rev 1.0, unable to access BIOS or load Win10
- Samsung 970 Pro 1TB M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD Review
- AMD Vega 56 not being detected by Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4 motherboard
- win 7 with gigbyte mobo/network only getting 10% of bandwidth
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit