NGFF in SATA III Form
With all of that said, we still managed to get our hands on two early NGFF samples. Both are electrically SATA III and worked well in the ASUS Z87 Maximus Extreme VI motherboard.
You have to excuse the images. The Taipei office isn't setup for on-the-spot testing like our US offices. We'll have proper reviews soon.
Both drives are from ADATA. The first (top) is based on the LSI SandForce architecture and uses a SF-2281 controller paired with 128GB of flash. The second (bottom) drive uses a Jmicron JMF-667 controller paired with a NANYA DRAM buffer and 32GB of NAND flash.
The order number on the LSI based model is AXNS360E-128GM-B.
There are four NAND flash chips, two on each side.
The LSI SandForce SF-2281 controller is a familiar sight, but this is the new B02 stepping with DEVSLP. We're not able to test DEVSLP in Taipei, but the first thing slated for testing when I get to my office is a proper test.
The ADATA order number for the smaller NGFF drive is AXN34N-32GB-B. This model uses a Jmicron JMF-667 controller with just two NAND flash chips.
You'll notice this drive is smaller than the first, just 40mm compared to the 60mm drive using the SandForce controller. The NGFF spec at last count had more than a few variations, but eventually the number will come down.
The ASUS Z87 Maximus Extreme VI motherboard ships with a daughter board that houses the NGFF slot and a populated Wi-Fi adapter that uses the new ac variant. The Wi-Fi slot is on the other side of the daughter board. We removed a cosmetic cover to get a better look at the NGFF slot.
The NGFF SSD just slides into the slot without a retention mechanism.
The daughter board then secures to the motherboard. The ASUS board is electrically compatible with both SATA and PCIe NGFF SSDs. The PCIe 2.0 lane count is only x1, though. Higher lane count drives should work with the board just fine, but operate at reduced speeds.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- AMD EPYC Rome: 64C/128T processor teased at 2.35GHz
- Samsung Galaxy F rumors: March 2019, costs up to $1770
- Capcom may continue cloud-based Switch games
- Fire Emblem Heroes makes 72% of Nintendo's mobile revenue
- Obsidian excited about Game Pass, wants to redefine RPGs
- Q87m-e/csm & ddr3 1600 ram
- Intel Core i9-9980XE Extreme Edition Review
- Convert MBOX File Format to PST Format
- OLM to PST Converter
- 'Ring of Elysium' launches three-tier security system
- eZuce Vibe is Powered by Oracle Cloud and Now Available in the Oracle Cloud Marketplace
- GlobalSign Launches Global Partner Program to Advance Enterprise Growth
- ADAMA and Pessl Instruments Signed Agreement for Global Partnership
- TYAN Showcases HPC, Storage and Cloud Server Platforms