What we're seeing today with AMD Radeon HD 7990 overclocking is really disappointing and there really seems little reason why performance would be impacted in such a negative way in some areas. Performance is really all over the place from strong gains, to no change, and to a general chunk of FPS being taken off sometimes.
Looking over reviews from other websites what we've noticed is that some have picked up on it and some haven't. Because we've always made overclocking a separate article, we've always looked at how the overclock impacts performance on a much larger scale. You can see that if you test under the right situation overclock brings with it a big boost in performance, in another area you might see no change or a negative impact, especially if you only test one game, like some other websites do.
There's clearly something going on with the overclocking side of things and we've reached out to AMD about it. This is of course something we'll be keeping a close eye on and it's something that we'll re-test when a fix comes to light, as surely AMD are working on it now. It's something that AMD really need to fix, especially if they intend to start attacking some records in the coming weeks, with extreme overclockers around the world. It may be nothing more than a driver update required, but we'll have to play the waiting game a little.
On a whole our opinion on the model really remains unchanged and we absolutely love what AMD has done with the new dual GPU video card. Overclocking is naturally something that you'll want to avoid at the moment, based on what we've seen here today. As we get a chance to see what partners do with the new model, it will be interesting to see if a pre-overclocked model comes to light soon. With the way performance is when overclocking at the moment, we aren't too sure what's going to happen at this stage.
All in all though, the HD 7990 6GB continues to be an absolute beast of a video card and it's no doubt an attractive option for anyone who wants a seriously fast video card, with the money to back that desire. With the way the results have gone today, though, we can't deny the appeal to single GPU options which tend to be nearly flawless when it comes to overclocking.
NVIDIA and the GTX TITAN continues to be very safe at the ultra-high end bracket. AMD have some work to do when it comes to Radeon HD 7990 overclocking.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.com
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.co.uk
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.com.au
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.ca
Deutschland: Finde andere Technik- und Computerprodukte wie dieses auf Amazon.de
- Page 1 [Introduction and Overclocking]
- Page 2 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup]
- Page 3 [Benchmarks - 3DMark 11]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Phantasy Star Online 2]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Just Cause 2]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - F1 2012]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Metro 2033]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Dirt Showdown]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Nexuiz]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Sniper Elite V2]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - Sleeping Dogs]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 15 [Benchmarks - Hitman Absolution]
- Page 16 [Benchmarks - Tomb Raider]
- Page 17 [Benchmarks - BioShock Infinite]
- Page 18 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 19 [Temperature Test]
- Page 20 [Sound Test]
- Page 21 [Power Consumption Test]
- Page 22 [Final Thoughts]