It's been a while since we've tested CrossFire and it's great that we had a chance to not only test it on our new benchmark line-up, but also the new Catalyst 12.11 drivers which we tested when they first came out towards the end of October. The performance gains were extremely strong and it's great to see how CrossFire looks on the latest driver.
One of the most important areas when it comes to CrossFire, though, is the price of the setup and how it compares to others. This is especially important when you're looking at going CrossFire on mid-range video cards instead of a higher end single GPU solution. Having a look at the price of a custom HD 7970 GHz Edition you'll find the IceQ X2 version from HIS come in at around the $389.99 mark.
Looking at a pair of HIS HD 7850 IceQ Turbo cards they're going to set you back $439.98 - roughly $50 more than what a single HD 7970 GHz Edition is going to cost. Is the price difference worth it? For the most part we'd say yes. Performance gains over a single card are extremely impressive and most the time we see the setup have no issue outperforming the single higher end options.
Performance tends to especially be ahead when you compare games that are more intensive. The more pressure that is being placed on the card / cards sees the CrossFire configuration perform extremely strong. This is why we see strong leads at 2560 x 1600.
If you want to get ready for some holiday fun and you're looking for a setup that is going to come out ahead of top single GPU options, a mid-range CrossFire setup like the one we're looking at today is fantastic.
This particular setup stands out a little more than others due to the excellent cooling solution HIS has put together. Even when the video cards are close together in CrossFire mode, the IceQ cooler does a simply amazing job of not only keeping temps down, but doing it at a low noise level.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup]
- Page 3 [Benchmarks - 3DMark 11]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Phantasy Star Online 2]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Just Cause 2]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - F1 2012]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Metro 2033]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Dirt Showdown]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Nexuiz]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Sniper Elite V2]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - Sleeping Dogs]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 15 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 16 [Temperature Test]
- Page 17 [Sound Test]
- Page 18 [Power Consumption Test]
- Page 19 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Amazon Prime price will increase to $119 in May
- Pokemon Switch RPG listed as 2018 or later
- Nintendo sold 15 million Switch consoles in FY2017
- Nintendo president Tatsumi Kimishima to step down
- Bandai Namco release 1080p New Gundam Breaker screenshots
- ASUS STRIX H370-I GAMING (Intel H370) Motherboard Review
- Issue with X299 Taichi No video through GTX 1080ti
- GIGABYTE X470 Aorus Gaming 7 WIFI Motherboard Review
- AsRock Z97 not picking up SATA drive
- GA-X79-UD3 NVMe
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit