Gigabyte 8PENXP Features Continued
Intel's latest addition to the Pentium 4 platform, the i865PE, has proven itself to provide just as much power as an i875P chipset can, so it's no wonder that manufacturers are using this chipset above any competitors or even Intel's own i875P chipset. With support for DDR-400 Dual Channel DDR SDRAM, AGP 8x, CSA Networking, the only thing missing is PAT and ECC support, which isn't that much help for desktops anyway.
The new ICH5 is included to add eight USB 2.0 ports, AC'97 audio and two independent Serial ATA controllers. It would have been nicer to see the ICH5-R used, however, Gigabyte does make up for this with the inclusion of the Silicon Image Controller.
Dual Serial ATA
While the ICH5 is included for Serial ATA, it doesn't support RAID functions like the ICH5-R does. The ever popular Silicon Image Serial ATA controller chip has been added to give two extra Serial ATA ports for RAID 0, 1 and 0+1.
Parallel ATA RAID
While more companies today are building boards with Serial ATA RAID, 99% are forgetting about Parallel ATA RAID. Serial ATA is still new, so it's pretty doubtful 20% of us have a SATA drive let alone two. Most of us, however, have two or more IDE drives in RAID arrays. With new boards with Serial ATA RAID, it's almost impossible to use the IDE drives; this is unacceptable. Gigabyte, however, hasn't forgotten us. The ITE GigaRAID controller is added for two IDE ports supporting four drives in RAID 0, 1 or 0+1 modes.
While you would think that eight USB ports would be enough to keep the system going, Gigabyte has made the 8PENXP dual Serial port ready. Firewire has become a great interface for DV transfer and even networking. Gigabyte adds the Texas Instruments 3-port Firewire controller.
Gigabit CSA Networking
With the introduction of the new i875P and i865 series chipsets, Intel added a new bus interface to the MCH. This new bus is called the Communications Streaming Architecture. This new bus runs at 266MB/s and allows for connection of the Pro 1000CT Intel network controller. This controller runs at 10,100,1000mbps for Gigabit Ethernet connections. Using the CSA bus eliminates the large amounts of Ethernet data from clogging up the PCI bus, a much better approach to the even increasing problems with the PCI restrictions.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Abit vs. Gigabyte - Page 1 [Introduction]
- Abit vs. Gigabyte - Page 2 [Specifications]
- Abit vs. Gigabyte - Page 3 [Features - Gigabyte 8PENXP]
- Abit vs. Gigabyte - Page 4 [Features Continued - Gigabyte 8PENXP]
- Abit vs. Gigabyte - Page 5 [Features - ABIT IS7-G]
- Abit vs. Gigabyte - Page 6 [Benchmarks - Test Setup and SiSoft Sandra MAX3]
- Abit vs. Gigabyte - Page 7 [Benchmarks - PCMark2002]
- Abit vs. Gigabyte - Page 8 [Benchmarks - 3DMark2001 SE]
- Abit vs. Gigabyte - Page 9 [Benchmarks - 3DMark03]
- Abit vs. Gigabyte - Page 10 [Benchmarks - Code Creatures]
- Abit vs. Gigabyte - Page 11 [Benchmarks - Comanche 4]
- Abit vs. Gigabyte - Page 12 [Benchmarks - Unreal Tournament 2003]
- Abit vs. Gigabyte - Page 13 [Benchmarks - Quake III Arena]
- Abit vs. Gigabyte - Page 14 [Benchmarks - Jedi Knight II]
- Abit vs. Gigabyte - Page 15 [Conclusions]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Shazam's first trailer injects fun, and color into the DCEU
- DC unleashes first Aquaman trailer during SDCC 2018
- GeForce GTX 1170 benchmark surfaces, faster than GTX 1080 Ti
- Escape the 'Isle of Dogs' in our Blu-ray giveaway!
- Apple's new MacBook Pro SEVERELY THROTTLES from Core i9 heat
- Z97X-SLI doesn't recognize NVME-SSD
- Design a Colorful SSD contest
- NZXT Kraken M22 CPU Cooler Review
- Question about ASROCK 970 Extreme3 1.0
- MSI X470 Gaming M7 AC (AMD X470) Motherboard Review
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit