Features of the Gigabyte 8PENXP
Package and Layout
Gigabyte's latest motherboards to come for the Taiwan giant have been very colorful masterpieces. The 8PENXP is packed in a similar front lift up package to the 8KNXP that gives you all the information on the motherboard you are purchasing. Inside, Gigabyte gives a plethora of goodies including the motherboard, three user manuals (1 for the board, 1 for the Serial ATA Controller and 1 for the Parallel ATA controller), one 4-port USB bracket, one audio bracket for 5-speaker operations, one Firewire bracket, one Serial ATA to External expansion card, DPRS 2 module.
Board Layout and Gripes
Gigabyte has, for the past four motherboards, used a 1 AGP slot and 5 PCI configuration. This has proven to be a winning combination and has been used on the 8PENXP, which is identical in Layout to the 8KNXP. The AGP slot supports both 4x and 8x protocols and is not backwards compatible with older 2x cards. Gigabyte has put a great deal of onboard peripherals on the 8KNXP so 5 PCI slots are all that should be needed for now and the future.
One of the biggest notations of this board is the memory slots. i865 chipsets have support for only four double sided DIMM modules. This limits most boards to 4 slots, two for channel A and two for Channel B. Gigabyte has changed this, similar to how 3 DIMMs were added to i845 boards. Gigabyte manages 6 DIMMS like this; Port 0 has a single DIMM connector on it where port 1 has 2. This means that if you install a double sided DIMM into DIMM 2, DIMM 3 cannot have any memory modules inserted. The same theory exists with DIMM 5 and 6; if a double sided DIMM is in 5, 6 cannot be occupied.
Power connectors and expansion sockets are located as per normal for a Gigabyte board. The 20-pin power connector is placed behind the DIMM sockets along with the FDD and HDD connectors. The 4-pin connector is between the Northbridge and the I/O panel making the 4-pin cable drape across the heatsink and fan.
Another feature is the DPRS2 system. DPRS2 stands for Dual Power Retention System. Most motherboards have either a 3-phase or some now with 4-phases to power the CPU voltage regulator. DPRS2 adds an extra 3-phases to the already 3 onboard, giving a total of 6 phases. This means there is no limit to the amount of power the Gigabyte 8PENXP can deliver stably to the CPU.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Abit vs. Gigabyte - Page 1 [Introduction]
- Abit vs. Gigabyte - Page 2 [Specifications]
- Abit vs. Gigabyte - Page 3 [Features - Gigabyte 8PENXP]
- Abit vs. Gigabyte - Page 4 [Features Continued - Gigabyte 8PENXP]
- Abit vs. Gigabyte - Page 5 [Features - ABIT IS7-G]
- Abit vs. Gigabyte - Page 6 [Benchmarks - Test Setup and SiSoft Sandra MAX3]
- Abit vs. Gigabyte - Page 7 [Benchmarks - PCMark2002]
- Abit vs. Gigabyte - Page 8 [Benchmarks - 3DMark2001 SE]
- Abit vs. Gigabyte - Page 9 [Benchmarks - 3DMark03]
- Abit vs. Gigabyte - Page 10 [Benchmarks - Code Creatures]
- Abit vs. Gigabyte - Page 11 [Benchmarks - Comanche 4]
- Abit vs. Gigabyte - Page 12 [Benchmarks - Unreal Tournament 2003]
- Abit vs. Gigabyte - Page 13 [Benchmarks - Quake III Arena]
- Abit vs. Gigabyte - Page 14 [Benchmarks - Jedi Knight II]
- Abit vs. Gigabyte - Page 15 [Conclusions]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Remedy working on three new IPs, including unannounced AAA project
- New Star Citizen ship costs $675, more than a PS4 and Xbox COMBINED
- New cyber-ninja Ghostrunner mixes Deus Ex, Superhot and Mirror's Edge
- Gears of War 5 uses Win32 on Windows Store and Steam, not UWP
- Bizarre new RPG Bleak Faith: Forsaken would make Beksinski proud
- Lian Li TU150 Mini-ITX Chassis Review
- SteelSeries Arctis 9X Wireless Headset Review
- Seagate Gears 5TB Game Drive Review
- TRENDnet USB-C 2.5Gbe Network Adapter Review
- Mushkin Pilot-E NVMe M.2 SSD Review
- Snooker 19, the first official snooker game in a generation, is out now on Nintendo Switch
- Ultimate Fishing Simulator VR will debut in August
- Leyou Technologies Announces 2019 Interim Results
- Thermaltake A700 Aluminum Tempered Glass Edition Full Tower Chassis Now Available Simplicity Creates Its Own Path
- 2019 Thermaltake CaseMOD Invitational Season 2 Brings Twelve Top Modders Worldwide Together for the New Creation of the Core P5 V2 Chassis Battle for the Best