Features of the Gigabyte GA-7NNXP
Board and Layout
Gigabyte's previous offerings for the AMD Athlon platform have been very exciting with great features and fantastic overclocking abilities. The 7NNXP is the first nForce2 motherboard to come out of the Gigabyte doors. Using a blue, full sized ATX motherboard coming in at 305 x 244 mm; it is no bigger than the other boards we have seen in this roundup. Expansion slots include a single AGP slot for AGP 4x and 8x with five PCI slots for add-on peripherals if you can find anything else to add which this motherboard does not already offer.
Layout wise, the Gigabyte board is one of the best of the roundup. The placement of the IDE and FDD connectors are behind the four DIMM sockets, that's right four. Gigabyte has gone with four sockets to maximise the amount of RAM you can use in Dual Channel mode, and they are colour coded to tell you which are Channel 1 and which are Channel 2 - just like Intel Canterwood and Springdale based motherboards.
The power connector is located behind the FDD connector, well out of the way of any of the CPU area resulting in good ventilation around the CPU area giving us something to tell the folks back home.
For their first motherboard with the nForce2 chipset, Gigabyte has gone straight to the top and used the SPP-400 and the MCP-T chipsets allowing for 400MHz FSB support along with the many impressive features that the MCP-T supports.
Added to the already impressive line up of features, this is the only motherboard in our roundup to include two network controllers.
Gigabyte first introduced the 6 Dual Miracle system on the 8INXP motherboard, and some of these features have been ported into the 7NNXP. First off for Serial ATA support the ever popular Silicon Image SATAlink RAID controller is added for the inclusion of two Serial ATA ports.
The second part of the Dual RAID is the ITE GigaRAID controller. This is a standard two port IDE RAID controller for those who have IDE RAID drives and don't want to give them up. Good consideration Gigabyte!
Firewire and Dual Ethernet
What kind of manufacturer would you be if you neglected to use the features that the south bridge provides? Gigabyte certainly isn't going to have to worry about answering that question. The Realtek RTL8801 PHY is included to give a total of three Firewire ports for your system via an external expansion bracket, two 6 pin and one 4 pin guarantees compatibility with all Firewire devices currently on the market.
As stated, this motherboard has two Ethernet controllers but not both are supplied by the MCP - the first Ethernet controller is the nVidia 10/100 MAC with the Realtek RTL8001BL PHY and the second is the Intel PCI Gigabit Ethernet controller that has been used on quite a few of the past Gigabyte motherboard giving 10/100/1000 Ethernet control over standard CAT5E cabling.
The Dual Power system first also appeared on the 8INXP. This introduced a riser card with three phase power circuit. With the existing three directly supported on the motherboard, when this card is inserted, a six phase power circuit is created to stabilise the power delivered to the CPU and aid in overclocking with stable voltages.
External Serial ATA?
Another feature we have seen in the past is the Internal to External Serial ATA adapter card which allows you to connect Serial ATA drives up external to the system for hot swapping which is a great idea indeed. Included are all the cables and instructions needed to make it happen.
Overclocking - We have a winner!
Overclocking on the 7NNXP was bar none, one of the best setups available. Under the Frequency / Voltage control menu are all the options you will need to overclock the system. FSB adjustments are adjustable from 100MHz to 300MHz in 1MHz increments.
CPU voltage is adjustable from 1.3v up to 1.8v in 0.025v increments. DRAM voltage is adjustable from 2.5v up to 2.8v in 0.1v increments. AGP voltage can be adjusted from 1.5v up to 1.7v in 0.1v increments.
AGP/PCI divider locks are available to keep the PCI and AGP within their specified bus speeds allowing a much more stable overclock.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- nForce 2 Roundup - Page 1 [Introduction]
- nForce 2 Roundup - Page 2 [Specifications - Chaintech and EPoX]
- nForce 2 Roundup - Page 3 [Specifications - Soltek and Albatron]
- nForce 2 Roundup - Page 4 [Specifications - Shuttle and ABIT]
- nForce 2 Roundup - Page 5 [Specifications - ABIT and Gigabyte]
- nForce 2 Roundup - Page 6 [Features - Chaintech 7NJS Zenith]
- nForce 2 Roundup - Page 7 [Features - EPoX 8RDA+]
- nForce 2 Roundup - Page 8 [Features - Soltek 75MRN]
- nForce 2 Roundup - Page 9 [Features - Albatron KM18G Pro]
- nForce 2 Roundup - Page 10 [Features - Shuttle AN35-400]
- nForce 2 Roundup - Page 11 [Features - ABIT NF7-S]
- nForce 2 Roundup - Page 12 [Features - ABIT NF7-M]
- nForce 2 Roundup - Page 13 [Features - Gigabyte GA-7NNXP]
- nForce 2 Roundup - Page 14 [Benchmarks - Test Setup and Sandra 2003 SP1]
- nForce 2 Roundup - Page 15 [Benchmarks - System and Multimedia Productivity]
- nForce 2 Roundup - Page 16 [Benchmarks - Synthetic 3D and PC]
- nForce 2 Roundup - Page 17 [Benchmarks - OpenGL]
- nForce 2 Roundup - Page 18 [Benchmarks - Direct3D]
- nForce 2 Roundup - Page 19 [Final Thoughts on our Candidates]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Nintendo Switch could feature Xbox Games Pass by end of 2019
- Did Blizzard just tease the 30th hero for Overwatch?
- Overclockers UK unveils $43,000 gaming PC: 8Pack Orion X2
- NZXT releases Overwatch-themed H500 PC gaming chassis
- NVIDIA reportedly launching GeForce GTX 1650 next month
- Intrusive Ads on Tweaktown
- AxE: Alliance vs Empire preview: MMO mobile chaos
- random shutdown
- Kensington LD5400T Thunderbolt 3 Dock Review
- Compatibility issue P10S-M-DC with i5
- Rise of Industry Gets May 2nd Release Date!
- Pixel Noir will debut on Steam Early Access. SWDTech retro RPG will be released on the Steam system during the first week of April
- Pull Your Devil Trigger With Sinful New Devil May Cry 5 Range
- BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment America Reveals New Ranger Class Trailer for Upcoming Action MMORPG, Bless Unleashed
- Explore the Latest Map & Music from Team Sonic Racing