When we first got a chance to overclock the GEFORCE GTX 660 Ti, we didn't get the chance to play with stuff like voltages and while we achieved some strong performance, we knew once we had the ability to play around with voltages and all the other fun stuff, we'd see even more performance.
Today you can see that giving us the ability to adjust those voltages has really given the new model from NVIDIA a chance to breathe with some awesome performance gains being seen. I think some of the most interesting numbers come from when we compare our overclocked numbers today to the reference clocked version of the video card. Often we saw numbers move away from that 60 FPS area and instead move into the 70s making sure that gameplay is extremely smooth.
While the MSI GTX 660 Ti Power Edition is indeed the first retail GTX 660 Ti we've tested, the previous track record from not only MSI, but the Power Edition series, tells us that it is going to make it one of those video cards that stand out from the pack for all the right reason. With over 1200MHz on the core via boost and a massive 7000MHz QDR memory clock, we ultimately see fantastic performance.
Of course the GTX 660 Ti isn't without its weakness and we continue to see NVIDIA struggle at the higher resolution benchmarking when compared to its AMD counterpart. The new HD 7970 GHz Edition from AMD has done a really good job of helping cement that high resolution performance crown. While the GTX 660 Ti is of course a cheaper option at around the $300 - $330 mark, even with a massive overclock, we don't see those 2560 x 1600 numbers that we'd like to see. A lot of this is of course due to the fact we're dealing with that smaller 192-bit memory bus. This compares to the GTX 670 and GTX 680 which carries a 256-bit one and the HD 7900 based cards which carry an even more impressive 384-bit memory bus.
We're really seeing a lot more back and forth with AMD and NVIDIA at the moment than we expected. First we saw AMD come out with price drops to battle NVIDIA and then we saw the GHz Edition of the HD 7970. Alongside that we've also seen them revamp the HD 7950 with a new higher clocked version.
In the end, the person that wins is you, as more and more choices come to the market, they hit a more aggressive price point. It's good to see NVIDIA is filling out the price bracket with the GTX 600 series and the upcoming GTX 660 and GTX 650 will really help NVIDIA with a strong top to bottom setup for this generation. If you're looking at spending around $300, though, you'll be hard pressed to turn away from the new GTX 660 Ti, especially when you consider the overclocking power of the new Power Edition version that manages to impress.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Overclocking]
- Page 2 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup]
- Page 3 [Benchmarks - 3DMark 11]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X. 2]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Mafia II]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Aliens vs. Predator]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Just Cause 2]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Metro 2033]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Dirt 3]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 14 [Temperature Test]
- Page 15 [Sound Test]
- Page 16 [Power Consumption Test]
- Page 17 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Android 17 confirmed as next Dragon Ball FighterZ DLC
- Danny Trejo introduces Magic: The Gathering Arena Open Beta
- Dark Souls Remastered for Switch: Network Test available
- Platinum Games addresses Bayonetta 3 development progress
- Nintendo Switch NES Emulator successfully hacked, new games?
- NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Review: No Seriously, Just Buy It
- can not find WIIFI driver
- Qsan XN3002T Two-Bay NAS Review
- Can't connect to the media server on my AC68U
- Need help with my asus rp-AC68U
- The Slater releases on September 20th
- Partnership Between Mastiff and Yggdrazil Group Brings Home Sweet Home to PlayStation 4 and Xbox One This October
- Turn-Based PC-RTS 'ValeGuard' Has Launched On STEAM Offering Exciting City-Building & Strategic Real-Time Combat
- IBM Takes Major Step in Breaking Open the Black Box of AI
- Genpact Launches Cora CommandCenter to Transform Digital Workforce Performance and Automation Governance