This is a really nice setup and for around $700 total you're getting some amazing power. We didn't talk about it heaps during our graphs, but comparing the setup to the more expensive HD 7900 setups in CrossFire, the results are quite interesting. While for the most part we can see the $900 HD 7950 CrossFire setup comes in about 20% faster than the HD 7870 CF setup, when you start to look at the numbers, you can see there's little difference between then when it comes to our games being playable.
Metro 2033 is one of the most intensive engines on the market and you can see at the highest resolution we got a 79 FPS average out of the HD 7870 CF setup and a 99 FPS average out of the HD 7950 CF setup. On a 2560 x 1600, 60Hz monitor, Metro 2033 is going to feel near identical on both machines making the extra $200 investment hardly worth it for some.
If you want to max out in game settings at 2560 x 1600, I'd suggest the HD 7870 CF setup over the HD 7950 CF setup due to the overall better value. With that said, though, moving to the HD 7950 CF and HD 7970 CF setups is still extremely worth it as we start to move into AA and AF territory or Eyefinity resolutions. If you're only gaming at 1920 x 1080 or 1920 x 1200, though, the HD 7870 CF setup is going to handle games at native resolution extremely well along with the ability to turn on AA and AF.
While expensive, the HD 7870 CF setup sits in a good position between that $500 and $1000 mark. If you want to run absolutely maxed out details at 1920 x 1080 / 1920 x 1200 including AA and AF it's a truly awesome setup that represents the best value for that kind of gaming experience. If you also want uninterrupted 2560 x 1600 performance with game details maxed out and depending on the game itself having AA and AF as an option, it's also another really good choice.
At just $150 more than a single HD 7970, there's some truly amazing value to be had here. If your board supports CrossFire and you're already look at the $500 / $600 market for video cards, it would be really worth considering the HD 7870 CrossFire setup.
The bottom line is that CrossFire doesn't have the same ill effects as it did years ago when we saw it launch. Combined with the fact that AMD are offering us regular driver updates that fix issues, it's just a great setup to have.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup]
- Page 3 [Benchmarks - 3DMark 11]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X. 2]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Mafia II]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Aliens vs. Predator]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Just Cause 2]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Metro 2033]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Dirt 3]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 14 [Temperature Test]
- Page 15 [Sound Test]
- Page 16 [Power Consumption Test]
- Page 17 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Co-op platformer Super Chariot coming to the Nintendo Switch
- SEGA launch mystery game reveal countdown website
- Single-player AAA game production costs increase by 10x
- Sony makes sign-ups for PS4 v5.50 firmware beta available
- Netflix won't be available on the Nintendo Switch as of yet
- Which one is Best laptop in my Budget
- ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac LGA 1150 major problems starting screen flickers > Freezes up win 10
- Phison E8 512GB M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD Preview
- Bios Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming test 8700K
- Which chip Is my main bios chip ( Gigabyte P17F Notebook )
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit
- Colorful Announces iGame GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Vulcan X Top
- Gainward Announces its GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series