We've seen AMD continue to improve CrossFireX performance generation after generation and looking at the performance we've got here today, it's obvious that they've improved CrossFireX performance again when compared to the HD 6000 series of video cards. Under the most intensive situations, though, we see that performance at times sits 200% higher than a single card setup and you honestly can't get a higher percentage than that outside a little bit of fluctuation.
Of course it's not always rosy and at times we see little to no performance gains. The biggest factor when it comes to this, though, is the huge numbers we're already dealing with. Once we get to such a high level of FPS at some of these lower resolutions tests, it's just not possible to keep going up. Mafia II also seems to hit this wall that is only present on AMD cards and while it's not as bad as it was with the HD 6000 series cards, it's still clearly present.
As times goes on we'll see AMD improve the setup more and more and I think the one thing that is really exciting about the performance we're seeing here today isn't what three HD 7970s can do, but the almost "Sneak Peek" kind of preview into what a HD 7990 + HD 7970 setup could look like. The HD 6990 + HD 6970 CrossFireX setup was my favorite performance configuration from the HD 6000 series and looking at three way performance here today, the HD 7990 + HD 7970 should no doubt be the performance setup to own in this generation.
There's little to complain about here when looking at the performance. Sure, it's not perfect, but it's just the nature of the beast when it comes to these three card setups. What we're seeing, though, is that under the most intensive situations, gains of 200% can be seen over a single GPU setup. This is only a good thing when it comes to testing in the most intensive games.
Throw this all in with the fact that AMD are saying that they still don't have an "official" CrossFire driver yet and it's pretty easy to get excited about what's going on. As we see more and more HD 7000 series cards come into the mix, we're no doubt going to be able to see some awesome combinations of cards here.
The setup here today isn't cheap by any means since each card comes in at $549.99 USD. There's actually some value to be had here as adding a third card into the mix adds the kind of extra performance you'd hope it would. Deep pockets only.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup]
- Page 3 [Benchmarks - 3DMark 11]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X. 2]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Mafia II]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Aliens vs. Predator]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Just Cause 2]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Metro 2033]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Dirt 3]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 14 [Temperature Test]
- Page 15 [Sound Test]
- Page 16 [Power Consumption Tests]
- Page 17 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Google's game service lets you piggyback off streamers saves
- Qualcomm working on standalone wireless VR headsets
- NVIDIA's new Jetson Nano: entry-level AI computers costs $99
- Paramount wants to see cinemas play new movies at 120FPS
- NVIDIA shows off Quake II with real-time ray tracing tech
- Halloween 4K Blu-ray Review
- GA-Z68X-UD5-B3 (VT-D Support)
- ASUS Zenith Extreme Alpha (AMD X399) Motherboard Review
- m.2 shows in BIOS Windows installed but not showing in boot list
- Dirt Rally Driver HD the successful mobile game is now available in PC for free
- Super Phantom Cat, a Retro Platformer is Launching on Nintendo Switch March 21st
- Turtle Beach Unveils Its All-New Recon 70 Series Gaming Headsets
- Sacrifices, demons and emperors of Elmoraden
- Lilith Games Rebrands Rise of Civilizations to Rise of Kingdoms