We've seen AMD continue to improve CrossFireX performance generation after generation and looking at the performance we've got here today, it's obvious that they've improved CrossFireX performance again when compared to the HD 6000 series of video cards. Under the most intensive situations, though, we see that performance at times sits 200% higher than a single card setup and you honestly can't get a higher percentage than that outside a little bit of fluctuation.
Of course it's not always rosy and at times we see little to no performance gains. The biggest factor when it comes to this, though, is the huge numbers we're already dealing with. Once we get to such a high level of FPS at some of these lower resolutions tests, it's just not possible to keep going up. Mafia II also seems to hit this wall that is only present on AMD cards and while it's not as bad as it was with the HD 6000 series cards, it's still clearly present.
As times goes on we'll see AMD improve the setup more and more and I think the one thing that is really exciting about the performance we're seeing here today isn't what three HD 7970s can do, but the almost "Sneak Peek" kind of preview into what a HD 7990 + HD 7970 setup could look like. The HD 6990 + HD 6970 CrossFireX setup was my favorite performance configuration from the HD 6000 series and looking at three way performance here today, the HD 7990 + HD 7970 should no doubt be the performance setup to own in this generation.
There's little to complain about here when looking at the performance. Sure, it's not perfect, but it's just the nature of the beast when it comes to these three card setups. What we're seeing, though, is that under the most intensive situations, gains of 200% can be seen over a single GPU setup. This is only a good thing when it comes to testing in the most intensive games.
Throw this all in with the fact that AMD are saying that they still don't have an "official" CrossFire driver yet and it's pretty easy to get excited about what's going on. As we see more and more HD 7000 series cards come into the mix, we're no doubt going to be able to see some awesome combinations of cards here.
The setup here today isn't cheap by any means since each card comes in at $549.99 USD. There's actually some value to be had here as adding a third card into the mix adds the kind of extra performance you'd hope it would. Deep pockets only.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup]
- Page 3 [Benchmarks - 3DMark 11]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X. 2]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Mafia II]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Aliens vs. Predator]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Just Cause 2]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Metro 2033]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Dirt 3]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 14 [Temperature Test]
- Page 15 [Sound Test]
- Page 16 [Power Consumption Tests]
- Page 17 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Black Ops 4 physical sales down 50% compared WWII
- Mega Man 11 only had around 40 developers in the team
- Fortnite leak showcases a soon to be released gifting system
- A re-introduction into Old School RuneScape: New/Old players
- COD: Black Ops 4 launch day sales on PC up 100% over 2017
- Computer will not turn on.
- Netgear Wireless WG111 Issue
- Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-OMEGA Mid-Tower Chassis Review
- Ryzen 1600x, temps, spikes and normal workload
- Which modern Z370 ATX motherboards are most reliable? Seeking advice
- Zombidle: Fun With Surgery Is An Update With A Lot of Guts
- Theia Wallet Announced the 1.0 Version Beta Test, Supports BTC
- Orion Health launches Amadeus CORE to help healthcare sector leverage data analytics and machine learning
- Epson Booth to Feature Partners with latest POS Solutions at Money20/20
- Raybaby announces launch on Amazon