Some MSI Z68A-GD80 Features
From the chipset side of things the MSI Z68A-GD80 features the same ones as we mentioned when we looked at our ASRock Z68 boards in our preview here. That's of course Intel Smart Response Technology, Intel HD Graphics and Fast Encoding via Lucid Virtu.
On top of those technologies that are key to the Z68, there are a few stand out features that MSI are promoting which are on offer. One is Military Class II which brings SFC (Super Ferrite Choke), Hi-c CAP (Highly-Conductive polymerized capacitor using tantalum core) and Solid CAP (Solid Capacitors).
MSI say SFC brings 30% higher maximum current capacity and 10% higher power supply efficiency. Hi-c CAP and Solid CAP bring higher quality capacitors to the table which helps boost the overall lifetime of your motherboard and helps maintain cleaner power and lower temperatures. Combined, these bring better stability and a longer life span to the motherboard when compared to ones that use cheaper components.
We see a lot of good motherboard manufacturers opt for these kinds of features on higher end boards, but they all have their own name for it. It's a good feature to have and when buying a high end, good quality motherboard, it's important to look if it uses stuff like Solid Capacitors so you know the life span of it will be long. For MSI boards, if you've got the "Military Class II" logo, you know you're getting all these yummy features. For more information it's worth heading over to the MSI Military Class II mini site.
The other big feature that we see MSI promoting is OC Genie II. With a press of a button OC Genie II will help automatically overclock your CPU to a higher, yet still stable frequency without the need to use any software.
Not only does this boost 3D Performance thanks to an increase in clock speeds, but MSI say that combined with Intel Smart Response Technology, HDD performance can even be boosted which is quite interesting.
Unfortunately we can't give you any exact kind of numbers that we've discovered, firstly because we haven't tested yet, but secondly because we wouldn't be allowed to anyway just yet. We can give you some numbers that MSI has passed on to us which we'll indeed see on their site once the boards have been added.
It will be interesting to see how our own testing of OC Genie II goes. This automatic overclocking is something we're seeing more of and it's a great way for people who have heard about the extra performance overclocking can bring, but know it's being done in a safe way that requires no real BIOS knowledge.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and The Package]
- Page 2 [MSI Z68A-GD80 - The Board]
- Page 3 [MSI Z68A-GD80 - The Board Continues]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Resident Evil 2 remake PC requirements announced
- Gears of War 5 on PC scales incredibly well, up to 120FPS
- Red Dead Redemption 2 may come to PC
- Windows 10 Pro OEM CD-KEY Global, just $12.32
- Nintendo and Microsoft take a 'cross-play' jab at Sony
- AMD Ryzen 7 2700 and Ryzen 5 2600 Review
- Best SSD For Gaming: Over 120 SSDs Tested!
- Vampyr Review: Bloody Rare
- ASROCK X370 and MB STICKS
- Aten Thunderbolt 3 Multiport Dock
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit