Features of the ECS L4S8A
Package and Contents
ECS have the most plain motherboard packaging we have ever seen. This same box design is used over and over again. So, determining which board is which from the outside is a little hard without the labelling stickers that it comes with. When you open the box though, you are confronted with more than the previous two boards provided.
Inside you get your user manual, Driver CD, IDE and FDD cables, Serial ATA cable, USB bracket and your motherboard. The inclusion of all this leads us to believe we have been given more than the previous efforts.
The layout of the ECS L4S8A is what we would have expected for a budget board. 1/5/1 (AGP/PCI/Riser) slots are allocated for all your expansion needs. What surprised us was the large space between the AGP and the PCI slots. On closer investigation we noticed that it was perfect space for installing the Abit OTES card and still use the first PCI slot. ECS placed the BIOS chip inside this gap to give it a less barren look to the board.
Placement of the power connectors was very poor; some better R&D could have gone into this part. Located next to the chipset Northbridge, just below the CPU socket are both the 20pin ATX and 4pin 12VAux connectors. This means both sets of cables have to drape across the CPU, cutting vital air flow to the HSF.
Another gripe was the placement of the FDD connector. Located near the bottom of the board, this means you have to have the FDD cable drape across the intake fan for the case cooling, and worst of all, if you happen to have a HX08 full tower case, your cable won't reach the FDD drive from here, as we found.
Chipset - Cooled to the max
For budget, this board is cooled like it's an overclocker. On the Northbridge you have a large passive cooling unit. Since the SiS 648 doesn't require active cooling, some dollars were saved on the addition of power headers and the fan itself. On the Southbridge, you have a smaller passive cooler. This is designed to keep the system cool when all the peripherals are in full operation. While the 963 Southbridge doesn't get very hot, it's a nice approach.
Budget Ethernet - Realtek to the rescue
While being based toward budget onboard solutions, the Realtek RTL8100B chip has proven to give exceptional Ethernet quality for motherboards who want to replace the onboard software network solutions. ECS have added this chip to its motherboard for base level Ethernet and broadband internet access.
Serial ATA - Budget?
This is defiantly something I would never have expected for a budget solution. We barely see any extra ATA controllers onboard, but Serial ATA?
The Silicone Image Serial ATA chip is used to give two Serial ATA ports for your use. This chip also allows either simple ATA mode (as in a second HDD controller) or a RAID device (for RAID 0 or 1 operations). In all this is a great effort from ECS, so far.
As I said before, this board looked like it could overclock, and I was right.
ECS have given some pretty basic yet very well added overclocking options. Under the Frequency/Voltage Control menu you have access to FSB adjustments from 100Mhz up to 200Mhz in 1MHz increments. CPU voltage adjustments are also possible from 1.5v up to 1.85v in 0.025v increments, excellent for budget. DIMM voltage adjustments also available form 2.5v up to 2.8v, this keeps the DRAM in the safe limits for DDR SDRAM voltages. Memory frequency dividers are also available for setting your memory to just about any speed depending on your FSB. Now you can choose the fastest you want your ram to run while being able to adjust your FSB frequency.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- SiS 648 Budgets - Page 1 [Introduction]
- SiS 648 Budgets - Page 2 [MSI Specifications]
- SiS 648 Budgets - Page 3 [Gigabyte Specifications]
- SiS 648 Budgets - Page 4 [ECS Specifications]
- SiS 648 Budgets - Page 5 [Gigabyte Features]
- SiS 648 Budgets - Page 6 [MSI Features]
- SiS 648 Budgets - Page 7 [ECS Features]
- SiS 648 Budgets - Page 8 [Benchmarks - Test Setup and Sandra]
- SiS 648 Budgets - Page 9 [Benchmarks - System Productivity]
- SiS 648 Budgets - Page 10 [Benchmarks - Synthetic PC and 3D]
- SiS 648 Budgets - Page 11 [Benchmarks - OpenGL]
- SiS 648 Budgets - Page 12 [Benchmarks - Direct3D]
- SiS 648 Budgets - Page 13 [Conclusions]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Resident Evil 2 Premium Edition costs a huge $900
- AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2990WX overclocked to 6GHz with LN2
- Dishonored series is sleeping for now, says Arkane
- Bandai Namco may be making a new horror game
- World of Warcraft expansion 'Battle for Azeroth' releases
- Buy (2Pieces) Samsung Galaxy Note9/S9/S9+/S8+ New $800
- Fnatic miniSTREAK Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Review
- Buy (20 Pieces) Apple iPhone 8 Plus/8/7 Plus/7/6s Plus New $2000
- RAID 0 on a really old Motherboard
- Z97-UD5H-BK: Modded BIOS for NVME support
- Samsung's 16Gb GDDR6 Memory Powers Latest NVIDIA Quadro Professional Graphics Solution
- NVIDIA to Collaborate with DARPA to Develop Systems for Post-Moore's Law Era
- New Turing-Based Design Revolutionizes Workflow of Millions of Designers and Artists on the Desktop and in the Datacenter
- Hybrid Rendering Fundamentally Changes Computer Graphics by Fusing Real-Time Ray Tracing, AI, Simulation and Rasterization
- AMD Launches World's Most Powerful Desktop Processor: Bigger, Better 2nd Generation AMD Ryzen Threadripper Processors Break Boundaries of High-End Desktop Market