MSI have put together a board that totally deceived us. On inspections we expected a good overlocker with the cooling solutions on the voltage regulators. What we got was not what we wanted. With only one voltage tweak, and very little leeway, we were a bit disappointed in this board, considering the potential of the SiS 648 chipset.
- Rather Fast
- Gigabit Ethernet
- No RAID
- Very poor overclocking options for the look
- No use of onboard Firewire
Rating 6.5 out of 10
Gigabyte haven't made any attempts to hide its lack of overclocking options with extra cooling or other little bits and pieces. Gigabyte has specified that this board is OEM and super budget, which explains the lack of options. The use of the onboard networking and Firewire provided by the SIS 963 would have been nice to see.
- Very Cheap
- No RAID
- No Firewire utilisation of built in Firewire
- No LAN
Rating 7 out of 10
For a company that has a reputation of only being OEM, this board has impressed us more then anything from the big names. Overclocking options were more than what we would have expected, and even better than the other big name budget boards we looked at in this roundup.
You have the option for your Firewire and Serial ATA devices and that is just the icing on the cake for us.
- Best overclocking for the budget
- Serial ATA
- Onboard LAN
- Placement of the power connectors could do with a bit more thought
Rating 9 out of 10 and TweakTowns Editors Choice
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- SiS 648 Budgets - Page 1 [Introduction]
- SiS 648 Budgets - Page 2 [MSI Specifications]
- SiS 648 Budgets - Page 3 [Gigabyte Specifications]
- SiS 648 Budgets - Page 4 [ECS Specifications]
- SiS 648 Budgets - Page 5 [Gigabyte Features]
- SiS 648 Budgets - Page 6 [MSI Features]
- SiS 648 Budgets - Page 7 [ECS Features]
- SiS 648 Budgets - Page 8 [Benchmarks - Test Setup and Sandra]
- SiS 648 Budgets - Page 9 [Benchmarks - System Productivity]
- SiS 648 Budgets - Page 10 [Benchmarks - Synthetic PC and 3D]
- SiS 648 Budgets - Page 11 [Benchmarks - OpenGL]
- SiS 648 Budgets - Page 12 [Benchmarks - Direct3D]
- SiS 648 Budgets - Page 13 [Conclusions]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- ONRUSH gameplay trailer reveals new game modes
- YouTube star John 'TotalBiscuit' Bain has died age 33
- God of War reaches a massive 5 million units sold
- The Wolf Among Us Season Two hit with 2019 delay
- Nintendo's '2nd Unit Set' for the Switch is dockless, $230
- the best value, budget upgrade for me
- best value budget upgrade path
- Buy 3 Pieces Samsung Galaxy S9 SM-G960UZKAXAA 128GB $1.422
- X58a-ud5 rev 1.0 Bios with VT-d support
- HyperX FURY DDR4-3466 16GB Dual-Channel Memory Kit Review
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit