Features of the Gigabyte 8PE667 Ultra - Part 2
10 USB ports - Was 6 not enough?
Well as if moving from four USB ports to 6 wasn't enough, Gigabyte have given us 10. NEC's BGA USB2.0 controller chip makes another appearance on the 8PE667 Ultra. Gigabyte have chosen this chip many times in the past for USB2.0 when no native support is available, however, the ICH4 has a native USB2.0 controller, so it's a mystery to us why they would add four more ports. No Firewire ports are available on this board, removing the NEC USB controller in favour of a Firewire controller would have been more popular.
Intel Pro100VE Network
Gigabyte has not attempted any fancy bells and whistles networking solutions for the 8PE667 Ultra. Intel's Pro100VE network controller is supplied onboard (thanks to the integrated MAC on the ICH4 Southbridge). This brings base level networking for DSL and light LAN duties.
BIOS and Overclocking
The BIOS of the Gigabyte board is a standard Award 6 BIOS setup that you would expect from just about any motherboard on the market today, so there is no need to learn a second language to get through the information on the screen. Some people have commented about Gigabyte's latest BIOS codes not having a Advanced Chipset Features menu, well it is there - next time you are in the BIOS press CTRL+F1 and your Advanced chipset Features Menu comes up. Here you can adjust memory CAS settings and all the normal advanced chipset features other boards make visible.
Under the Frequency/Voltage control is the Overclocking options. From here you can adjust your setting to your hearts content. Vcore is adjustable from 1.1v unto 1.75v. Gigabyte has followed the Intel safety guidelines for Northwood CPU's that states vMAX being 1.75v - anything over that is risking serious damage.
DRAM Overvolt allows you to change the voltage supplied to the DDR-SDRAM. You can go from 2.5v up to 2.8v (this again is the safe limit for Overclocking as defined by the JEDEC.
AGP Overvolt allows you to change the voltage supplied to the AGP slot from 1.5v up to 1.8v. There is no limit on what you can set, although the best option is to not go above 1.8v as it tends to cause corruption in most high end video cards.
With this all said, the limiting settings didn't hinder us too much, we managed to get 167 MHz FSB using 1.75v CPU, 2.7v DRAM and 1.6v AGP - In all a very good overclock.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Intel 845PE Clash - Page 1 [Introduction]
- Intel 845PE Clash - Page 2 [ASUS Specifications]
- Intel 845PE Clash - Page 3 [Gigabyte Specifications]
- Intel 845PE Clash - Page 4 [Features of the ASUS P4PE - Part 1]
- Intel 845PE Clash - Page 5 [Features of the ASUS P4PE - Part 2]
- Intel 845PE Clash - Page 6 [Features of the Gigabyte 8PE667 Ultra - Part 1]
- Intel 845PE Clash - Page 7 [Features of the Gigabyte 8PE667 Ultra - Part 2]
- Intel 845PE Clash - Page 8 [Benchmarks - Test Setup and Sandra]
- Intel 845PE Clash - Page 9 [Benchmarks - System Productivity]
- Intel 845PE Clash - Page 10 [Benchmarks - Synthetic PC and 3D]
- Intel 845PE Clash - Page 11 [Benchmarks - OpenGL]
- Intel 845PE Clash - Page 12 [Benchmarks - Direct3D]
- Intel 845PE Clash - Page 13 [Conclusion]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds will 'soon' get map selection
- Australian High Court REJECTS Valves appeal to $3M fine
- Skyrim Special Edition - 4K and 8K textures mods available
- God of War director reads reviews on video, shows true heart
- Witcher 3 mod allows Geralt to go full Benjamin Button
- Possible Router Issues
- ADATA Premier Memory Cards
- Can't complete BIOS recovery
- Sonnet eGFX Breakaway Puck RX570 Review
- Akitio Thunder3 10G Network Adapter
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit