ASUS have put together a superb board for their Intel flagship. Designed with all the expansion and upgrade options in mind, you will not find this board so far out of date in the next 2-3 months as other will.
Building on their premmies of all onboard, you get yourself Firewire, RAID and serial ATA with USB 2.0, Intel I845PE chipset with support for the latest Hyper Threading CPU's as well as some fabulous Overclocking options.
On the Overclocking field, the ASUS board was able to pull out 167Mhz FSB for our P4 CPU, not to shabby for a 2.8Ghz CPU.
- Ultra Stable
- Good Overclocking options
- RAID onboard
- Serial ATA
- Uses VT6307 Firewire controller rather than VT6306
- BIOS could use a few tweaks for memory control
Rating 9 out of 10 and TweakTown Editors Choice
Gigabyte has built on the design of their 8IRXP and 8IEPX experiences to bring the 8PE667 Ultra. Designed to run the next generation FSB CPU that will move to 667Mhz, this board is ready for the future. RAID and USB 2.0 are all standard as well as adding an extra USB controller for up to 10 USB ports. Though this seems like well too many ports, who knows what the future will bring with USB 2.0 devices.
Unfortunately, Serial ATA has been left out as well as Firewire. Firewire was a big hit on the 8IEPX and 8IRXP as it allowed three Firewire ports for total connectivity. The inclusion of Serial ATA controller would have been a novel approach to the board as it allows for a better overall system look, especially with the thin cables serial ATA requires.
Overclocking was also fantastic, though only 1.75v was usable; we managed over 172Mhz FSB, outperforming the ASUS attempt.
- Ultra overclocker
- 667Mhz FSB support
- 10 USB 2.0 ports
- Max Vcore of 1.75v
- No Serial ATA or Firewire
Rating 9 out of 10 and TweakTown Editors Choice.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Intel 845PE Clash - Page 1 [Introduction]
- Intel 845PE Clash - Page 2 [ASUS Specifications]
- Intel 845PE Clash - Page 3 [Gigabyte Specifications]
- Intel 845PE Clash - Page 4 [Features of the ASUS P4PE - Part 1]
- Intel 845PE Clash - Page 5 [Features of the ASUS P4PE - Part 2]
- Intel 845PE Clash - Page 6 [Features of the Gigabyte 8PE667 Ultra - Part 1]
- Intel 845PE Clash - Page 7 [Features of the Gigabyte 8PE667 Ultra - Part 2]
- Intel 845PE Clash - Page 8 [Benchmarks - Test Setup and Sandra]
- Intel 845PE Clash - Page 9 [Benchmarks - System Productivity]
- Intel 845PE Clash - Page 10 [Benchmarks - Synthetic PC and 3D]
- Intel 845PE Clash - Page 11 [Benchmarks - OpenGL]
- Intel 845PE Clash - Page 12 [Benchmarks - Direct3D]
- Intel 845PE Clash - Page 13 [Conclusion]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Genesis Mini's classic games library is shaping up nicely
- Leaked Left 4 Dead 3 screenshots show Middle Eastern theme
- Warhammer: Chaosbane 2nd round of beta access available now
- Kid Goku (GT) will be added to Dragon Ball FighterZ in May
- Overcooked 2 new season pass 'Campfire Cook Off' DLC out now
- NVMe NAS Cache: Higher Speed or More Capacity?
- Massage salon
- Scythe Kaze Flex 120 RGB Fan Review
- Synology DS1019 NAS Review
- BIOS settings CPU Fatal1ty X470 Gaming K4, x470
- Cooperative Level-Building Platformer Levelhead Launches into Steam Early Access Today
- Epic Games announce Fortnite World Cup - Creative!
- JUMP FORCE DLC Character Lineup Announced By Bandai Namco Entertainment America
- A New Hero Class Lays Track in Torchlight Frontiers - Meet The Railmaster!
- Plague Inc: Armageddon, the first expansion to Plague Inc: The Board Game, is now live on Kickstarter!