A few important points need to be made. The first is that this is of course done at your own risk. While you shouldn't kill your card due to the ability of moving back to the reference BIOS thanks to that included switch, we make no guarantees.
Also, don't think that this is restricted to sample cards only, as users with retail bought cards from Sapphire, HIS and ASUS have all been able to perform this BIOS flash without any issues.
When it came to issues, we fortunately didn't have any, but if you do we recommend that you flash the BIOS back to the original one which you saved before updating. At the end of the day there could well be a reason the chip used on your HD 6950 is not on a HD 6970.
Really, when it all comes down to it, though, this is great news for HD 6950 owners who are looking for some more performance and something a bit more manageable without the need to run overclocking software. Once you've updated the BIOS your HD 6950 will run exactly like a HD 6970. Of course, that means that it won't only offer more performance, but it will run warmer and draw more power. Nonetheless, it's being done at the price of the HD 6950, so really, who are we to complain.
A few things to remember, though; we're not sure how long you're going to be able to do this for. The other thing is the brands we know that are able to do it are still quite small, so if you do have luck on a brand other than one of the mentioned ones, please drop us a line in our comments section below.
In the end the HD 6970 doesn't really offer that much more performance over the HD 6950, unlike the old X800 PRO that could be flashed to an XT many years ago. But for something that should carry with it limited risk, it's a nice upgrade, especially if you start looking at Crossfire setups.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and the Process]
- Page 2 [Test System Setup and 3DMark 11]
- Page 3 [3DMark Vantage]
- Page 4 [Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Resident Evil 5]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X. 2]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Mafia II]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Aliens vs. Predator]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Street Fighter IV]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Batman Arkham Asylum]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 14 [Temperature Test]
- Page 15 [Sound Test]
- Page 16 [Power Consumption Tests]
- Page 17 [Total Performance Rating (TPR)]
- Page 18 [Total Value Rating (TVR)]
- Page 19 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- ZOTAC's new GeForce RTX 2080/2080 Ti AMP! smile for photos
- EVGA's new GeForce RTX 2080 XC Ultra unveiled
- Palit's new GeForce RTX 2080/2080 Ti GamingPro pictured
- MSI's new GeForce RTX 2080/2080 Ti DUKE leaked
- NVIDIA's next-gen GeForce RTX 2080 Ti has 4352 CUDA cores
- Z68 Fatal1ty with Mushkin 2133 RAM errors
- Buy (10) Apple iPhone X $4,490 (Buy on our www .BizFests.com)
- Fnatic Flick 2 Optical Gaming Mouse Review
- Buy (3) Apple iPhone X $1.947 (Buy on our www .BizFests.com)
- Buy (3 Pieces) Apple iPhone X (A1865/A1901) New $1.947
- Road Redemption Coming This Fall to PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Nintendo Switch
- PROZE: a VR survival adventure announcement trailer
- Let's Ragnarok! Legend of Solgard Launches worldwide on Mobile
- Snail Games Soft Launches My Dino in Canada