Because we didn't have the chance to pump more voltage through the core, we knew that our overclock was never going to be as strong. Saying that, though, we did get a nice increase overall with the core finishing up at 840MHz and the memory jumping up 400MHz QDR to a nice 4400MHz QDR.
Overall we saw a really nice boost in performance across the board in all games and all resolutions and what we've ended up doing is making a setup that costs under $400 even more desirable.
The best thing is, once we've finally got some decent overclocking software that works on the Crossfire setup you're going to be able to achieve even higher clocks speeds and while it's fairly safe to say we won't see the same 1050MHz speeds that we saw on the GIGABYTE HD 6850 due to two cards being close together, we should be up and over 900MHz.
The value of these midrange cards means that going Crossfire on them is a good option. While the HD 5770 in Crossfire was a great little setup, the HD 5870 and its aggressive price meant that you really were better off getting just one of them. The current lack of HD 6900 series cards, though, and excellent scaling on the HD 6800 series means that this is a fantastic setup and while no doubt the HD 6900 series in Crossfire will perform even faster, they're going to cost more at the same time.
No doubt it'll be interesting to see how the new HD 6900 series competes against these more budget orientated Crossfire setups. If you're ready to get your game on, though, and your budget is around the $400 mark, don't think about getting one HD 6870 now and then another later down the track, because it rarely ever happens. Go out and pick up a pair of HD 6850s today, bump the clocks up a little and enjoy some awesome gaming.
Last updated: Nov 15, 2019 at 01:16 pm CST
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.com
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.co.uk
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.com.au
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.ca
Deutschland: Finde andere Technik- und Computerprodukte wie dieses auf Amazon.de
- Page 1 [Introduction and Specifications]
- Page 2 [Test System Setup and 3DMark Vantage]
- Page 3 [Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - Resident Evil 5]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X.]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Mafia II]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Aliens vs. Predator]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Final Fantasy XIV]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Street Fighter IV]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Batman Arkham Asylum]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 14 [Temperature Test]
- Page 15 [Sound Test]
- Page 16 [Power Consumption Tests]
- Page 17 [Total Performance Rating (TPR)]
- Page 18 [Total Value Rating (TVR)]
- Page 19 [Final Thoughts]