Out of the box the Gainward GTX 460 GLH Edition offers us a massive overclock when compared to the stock clocks that NVIDIA offer us, but that doesn't mean we don't want more MHz, which is exactly why we're here today.
With the MSI GTX 460 768MB Cyclone setup I had hoped to achieve 875MHz. Why 875MHz? Well, because it's 200MHz over the default 675MHz that NVIDIA offer. Unfortunately we didn't get there when running in SLI, but fingers and toes are crossed today since we're already starting with such a big out of the box overclock.
We ultimately want less than an extra 10% on top of what Gainward and Palit offer us. 75MHz; did we get it? Or did we get more? - And ultimately, what did that extra MHz on two cards do for our overall performance? - The setup is already climbing our TPR graph at an ungodly pace, but it did fall short of beating out the HD 5970 TOXIC from Sapphire which carries a price tag of over $1,000, or more importantly, a price tag that is double the cost of this setup.
The Gainward GTX 460 1GB GLH in SLI Overclocked
As I said just before, our aim was 875MHz which would be 200MHz over the stock 675MHz that NVIDIA give the model. With a bump in voltage from Afterburner and a bit of time, we ended up at 890MHz!
Since we really had no problems getting past the 875MHz clock, I tried so hard to get 900MHz with the fans set to AUTO, but I just couldn't get it. 890MHz is none the less very impressive; a good increase from the default 800MHz and a fantastic increase from the default 675MHz.
This in turn of course pushed our Shader clock up to 1780MHz from 1600MHz. We also gave the memory a slight bump from 4000MHz QDR to 4200MHz QDR.
These are really some pretty impressive numbers, especially when you consider that these are the clocks on both cards and that we opted to leave the fans at AUTO and not 100%. We probably could've got that extra 10MHz on the core at the cost of some extra dB, but we wanted to try and keep it at a bearable and more realistic noise level as we're sure most people don't want to push the fans up to 100%.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.com
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.co.uk
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.com.au
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.ca
Deutschland: Finde andere Technik- und Computerprodukte wie dieses auf Amazon.de
- Page 1 [Introduction and Overclocking the Cards]
- Page 2 [Test System Setup and 3DMark Vantage]
- Page 3 [Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - CINEBENCH]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Resident Evil 5]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - BattleForge]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X.]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Darkest of Days]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Batman Arkham Asylum]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Dark Void]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - Elcomsoft Wireless Security Auditor]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - Badaboom]
- Page 15 [Temperature Test]
- Page 16 [Sound Test]
- Page 17 [Power Consumption Tests]
- Page 18 [Total Performance Rating (TPR)]
- Page 19 [Total Value Rating (TVR) and Final Thoughts]