HD Tune Pro
HD Tune is a Hard Disk utility which has the following functions:
- Benchmark: measures the performance
- Info: shows detailed information
- Health: checks the health status by using SMART
- Error Scan: scans the surface for errors
- Temperature display
HD Tune Pro gives us accurate read, write and access time results and for the last couple of years has been gaining popularity amongst reviewers. It is now considered a must have application for storage device testing.
The read speed test had the 60GB starting off a little slow, but only for a split second. The slight dip at first shows up in the minimum category, but the average speed shows that the slight stumble was very brief. Instead of a stumble it was more like tripping over an ant. Aside from that everything is looking good across the board.
The write speed test was quite a bit different. Here we see the 60GB drive running into an issue. Let's look at the actual graphs from the run and compare the 60GB to the 240GB that shares the same firmware revision.
To be honest, I really didn't expect this since the word around the internet water cooler is that the 60GB is just as fast as the larger drives. That said, this is exactly why I wanted to test and write this article.
Here we see that the two drives peak at nearly the exact same spot; the problem is that the minimum and average write speed across the disk is much lower on the 60GB model. With all of the drives being tested in the same sequence and this being the second test that I ran, there was zero chance of the 60GB drive being in anything other than a new state. All drives were also tested fresh out of the sealed retail package.
What will be interesting is if a real world performance drop can be found in significant tests. We have seen SSDs stumble in HD Tune's Write Test before due to the cache filling up, but perform very well in real world tests. The difference here is that the SF-1200 does not use a DRAM cache buffer. This may be a clue into unraveling the inner workings of a controller that SandForce can be pretty tight lipped about.
Let's press on and see what we can find out from the synthetics and then see how everything pans out in real world tests.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Pricing and Availability]
- Page 3 [The OCZ Technology Vertex 2]
- Page 4 [Test System Setup and ATTO Baseline Performance]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - HD Tune Pro]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Everest Random Access Time]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Crystal Disk Mark]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage Hard Disk Tests]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - AS SSD]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Passmark]
- Page 11 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Assassin's Creed Origins: DLC 'The Hidden Ones' trailer
- PUBG to ban over 100,000 cheaters in one single wave
- Google hires ex PlayStation and Xbox executive Phil Harrison
- Dragon Ball FighterZ gets launch trailer days before release
- Rust will leave Steam Early Access on February 8
- Intel 760P 512GB M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD Review
- Samsung 860 Pro 1TB SATA III SSD Review
- Z270-HD3 F8 bios and advanced frequency settings not available...
- Spectre Bios Updates
- Lian-Li PC-O11 WW Feedback and O11 Air Feedback
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit
- Colorful Announces iGame GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Vulcan X Top