Surround Gaming shouldn't be linked in with people having more dollars than sense. Just because someone has a multi monitor setup, it doesn't mean they can run out and afford to buy a GTX 480 SLI or HD 5970 CrossFireX setup. The fact that you need two cards in SLI to run Surround Gaming is a bit of a pain, but it's not the end of the world; not needing a DisplayPort monitor is extremely nice.
An SLI GTX 465 setup for starters offers more performance than both a single GTX 470 and GTX 480. Unlike those two setups, though, it also offers Surround Gaming. A second card would have to be added to the GTX 470 or GTX 480 to do that; a very costly exercise.
Sure, ATI can do it off one card, but for the best experience you want to get at least a HD 5970 or a HD 5870 CrossFire setup. Please note, I'm saying best here. Yes, you could do it with a HD 5850, but really, to have real fun with it and enjoy the image quality, you need a stronger setup.
Compared to a HD 5970, this setup we're looking at today performs only slightly behind it, but offers better value. Now, what we need is for NVIDIA to give us a Surround Gaming driver so we can do some testing with it. It's all good and well that this might be the perfect setup for it, but until we test it ourselves the setup could be a complete and utter failure at the massive resolutions that Tri-Monitor setups offer.
Outside of that, though, the setup is just fast at any resolution and it's going to be a great little future proofing setup as it really handles everything you throw at it at all resolutions. What's also great about the setup is that if someone says 'why go two GTX 465s when you could go a single GTX 480?', you can say 'because this setup is faster'. It's so often we see mid range SLI / CF setups perform worse or very similar to the higher end models, but this setup does really outshine the other single GTX 400 setups.
As the weeks go on, the GTX 400 series is becoming a better card to own. We've had some great drivers from NVIDIA recently, SLI scaling is fantastic and companies are offering cooling solutions that keep our cards cooler while running quieter.
Like I said, though, where's our Surround Gaming driver?!?!
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Galaxy GTX 465 in SLI]
- Page 3 [Test System Setup and 3DMark Vantage]
- Page 4 [Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - CINEBENCH]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Resident Evil 5]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - BattleForge]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X.]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Darkest of Days]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Batman Arkham Asylum]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Dark Void]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - Elcomsoft Wireless Security Auditor]
- Page 15 [Benchmarks - Badaboom]
- Page 16 [Temperature Test]
- Page 17 [Sound Test]
- Page 18 [Power Consumption Tests]
- Page 19 [Total Performance Rating (TPR)]
- Page 20 [Total Value Rating (TVR)]
- Page 21 [Final Thoughts]