The HD 5970 TOXIC 4GB is just a sick card as it is. You can see that the performance on offer from it at the stock speed is already disturbing. You don't even have to get us started on the potential when overclocked.
To be honest, looking at the core clock it's clear we've got more room; we just need to get around the 1000MHz limitation that is on offer. Some say that it can be done via the BIOS, but we don't have loads of information. We're talking to Sapphire and hopefully we'll be able to get around it soon enough. But even at 1000MHz on the two cores, the performance is just insane.
Looking at our TPR graph, you can see the massive boost this model offers compared to other ones on the market in stock and overclock form. The HD 5970 TOXIC 4GB is a very special card; there's no doubt it's going to be out of reach for most people as we're sure it's going to carry a high price. It's not going to change the fact that you'll love to own one, though.
We're sure Sapphire would love to know that their fastest video card in the world was made faster with Sapphire software and not MSI. We personally don't care, though; we use what's best and what's going to give us the biggest performance gains.
There's really no reason to overclock the HD 5970 TOXIC 4GB; it doesn't need it. For the most part the standard HD 5970 doesn't even need it, but we overclock because we can. You can see today there's some massive performance to be had from the HD 5970 TOXIC 4GB; there's no denying that NVIDIA have a very tough battle to take on ATI.
The competition is going to make for some of the best video cards to date, I feel over the next few years.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Overclocking]
- Page 3 [Test System Setup and 3DMark Vantage]
- Page 4 [Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - CINEBENCH]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Resident Evil 5]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - BattleForge]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X.]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Darkest of Days]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Batman Arkham Asylum]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Dark Void]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - Elcomsoft Wireless Security Auditor]
- Page 15 [Temperature and Sound Tests]
- Page 16 [Power Consumption Tests]
- Page 17 [Total Performance Rating (TPR)]
- Page 18 [Final Thoughts]