The Yield Rate Story
Poor yield rates for the GTX 400 series is what sparked the delay story. NVIDIA have never really come out and said anything about the yield rates. When I participated in a conference call with them recently, someone asked how the yield rates were.
Now, I thought that I heard them say the yield rates were at an acceptable level; so I asked since they were now at an acceptable level, does that mean at one point they weren't?
The response is quite interesting.
I said the yield rates are in-line with our expectations for 40nm. Not that the yield rates weren't acceptable, just that TSMC 40nm fab process has been improved over the last year, so we don't expect supply issues at launch. We expect to be in a far better position with our enthusiast class products than what our competitor experienced with 40nm in the fall.
It's interesting to see that NVIDIA clarify the fact that they didn't say the yield rates were acceptable, but instead just in line with their expectations. They also say that the process has improved over the last year and they expect to be in a far better position than its competitor (ATI) at launch.
Is yield rate a reason for the delay? - It would really seem that way. The good news is that it doesn't seem to be an issue now which is what really matters. It's clear that the building phase didn't go as smooth for NVIDIA as they had hoped, nor is it at a level that they would consider acceptable.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [The GTX 470]
- Page 3 [The GTX 480]
- Page 4 [The 512 CUDA Core Story]
- Page 5 [The Yield Rate Story]
- Page 6 [The Launch Supply Story]
- Page 7 [The Surround Gaming Story]
- Page 8 [The Reviewers Guide Story]
- Page 9 [The Fancy Tech]
- Page 10 [The Fancy Tech - Continued]
- Page 11 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Keylogger found planted on over 460 HP laptops
- Epic Games poach Boss Key co-founder for 'secret project'
- Naughty Dogs Uncharted series hits new record high in sales
- Marvel writer hired for Netflix's Witcher show
- Secretlab temporarily slash $191 off TITAN Temp gaming chair
- AMD Radeon Software Adrenalin Edition Drivers Detailed
- 2 GPU on AB350 Gaming K4
- Mantiz Venus MZ-02 Thunderbolt 3 eGPU Enclosure Review
- Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 7 - Which M.2 socket should I use
- MSI Z170A PC Mate Unlock NVRAM
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit
- Colorful Announces iGame GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Vulcan X Top
- Gainward Announces its GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series