The Yield Rate Story
Poor yield rates for the GTX 400 series is what sparked the delay story. NVIDIA have never really come out and said anything about the yield rates. When I participated in a conference call with them recently, someone asked how the yield rates were.
Now, I thought that I heard them say the yield rates were at an acceptable level; so I asked since they were now at an acceptable level, does that mean at one point they weren't?
The response is quite interesting.
I said the yield rates are in-line with our expectations for 40nm. Not that the yield rates weren't acceptable, just that TSMC 40nm fab process has been improved over the last year, so we don't expect supply issues at launch. We expect to be in a far better position with our enthusiast class products than what our competitor experienced with 40nm in the fall.
It's interesting to see that NVIDIA clarify the fact that they didn't say the yield rates were acceptable, but instead just in line with their expectations. They also say that the process has improved over the last year and they expect to be in a far better position than its competitor (ATI) at launch.
Is yield rate a reason for the delay? - It would really seem that way. The good news is that it doesn't seem to be an issue now which is what really matters. It's clear that the building phase didn't go as smooth for NVIDIA as they had hoped, nor is it at a level that they would consider acceptable.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [The GTX 470]
- Page 3 [The GTX 480]
- Page 4 [The 512 CUDA Core Story]
- Page 5 [The Yield Rate Story]
- Page 6 [The Launch Supply Story]
- Page 7 [The Surround Gaming Story]
- Page 8 [The Reviewers Guide Story]
- Page 9 [The Fancy Tech]
- Page 10 [The Fancy Tech - Continued]
- Page 11 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- No Man's Sky VR? Hello Games wants to know if you want it
- Sony fixes PSN message glitch
- Nintendo reveal Diablo III: Eternal Collection Switch bundle
- Black Ops 4 physical sales down 50% compared WWII
- Mega Man 11 only had around 40 developers in the team
- ASRock A320M-DGS + Ryzen 5 2600 budget upgrade with older video card?
- Default Netgear Wireless WG111 Issue
- NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Review: The Perfect Card For 1440p
- Computer will not turn on.
- Netgear Wireless WG111 Issue
- Zombidle: Fun With Surgery Is An Update With A Lot of Guts
- Theia Wallet Announced the 1.0 Version Beta Test, Supports BTC
- Orion Health launches Amadeus CORE to help healthcare sector leverage data analytics and machine learning
- Epson Booth to Feature Partners with latest POS Solutions at Money20/20
- Raybaby announces launch on Amazon