The Yield Rate Story
Poor yield rates for the GTX 400 series is what sparked the delay story. NVIDIA have never really come out and said anything about the yield rates. When I participated in a conference call with them recently, someone asked how the yield rates were.
Now, I thought that I heard them say the yield rates were at an acceptable level; so I asked since they were now at an acceptable level, does that mean at one point they weren't?
The response is quite interesting.
I said the yield rates are in-line with our expectations for 40nm. Not that the yield rates weren't acceptable, just that TSMC 40nm fab process has been improved over the last year, so we don't expect supply issues at launch. We expect to be in a far better position with our enthusiast class products than what our competitor experienced with 40nm in the fall.
It's interesting to see that NVIDIA clarify the fact that they didn't say the yield rates were acceptable, but instead just in line with their expectations. They also say that the process has improved over the last year and they expect to be in a far better position than its competitor (ATI) at launch.
Is yield rate a reason for the delay? - It would really seem that way. The good news is that it doesn't seem to be an issue now which is what really matters. It's clear that the building phase didn't go as smooth for NVIDIA as they had hoped, nor is it at a level that they would consider acceptable.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [The GTX 470]
- Page 3 [The GTX 480]
- Page 4 [The 512 CUDA Core Story]
- Page 5 [The Yield Rate Story]
- Page 6 [The Launch Supply Story]
- Page 7 [The Surround Gaming Story]
- Page 8 [The Reviewers Guide Story]
- Page 9 [The Fancy Tech]
- Page 10 [The Fancy Tech - Continued]
- Page 11 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Rocket League Autumn Update available September 28
- Synology introduces new XS, Value and Series NAS
- ASUS introduce the ROG Strix Fusion 300 gaming headset
- Divinity: Original Sin 2 launch nearly didn't happen
- Thieves rob van full of Total War: Warhammer 2 CE's
- AMD X399 TR4 Threadripper Motherboard Buyer's Guide
- Gigabyte System Information Viewer
- ASRock X399 Professional Gaming Motherboard Review
- Permanent Fix for Beebox Wifi Design Flaws
- ASUS H97-Plus Various Boot Issues
- In Win Launches 'Wood-infused' 305 Mid-Tower PC Chassis
- Micron appoints Anand Jayapalan as Storage Business Unit Vice President
- Bluehole, Inc and Microsoft announce expanded partnership for PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds
- Optimize system performance with new drive adapter
- Lian Li reveals new PC-Q39 tempered glass Mini-ITX tower