Specifications, Pricing and Availability
As a prototype there wasn't a lot of information to start with as far as specs go. We already know that the SandForce 1500 and 1200 controller uses the SATA 3G interface and judging from the early numbers by OCZ the Vertex 2 Pro is limited by the interface.
Before we draw too many parallels between the Vertex 2 Pro and the Vertex Limited Edition, there are a few things to discuss. The Vertex 2 Pro we are testing today uses a 16 channel SF 1500 controller like the one that will be issued in the flagship, enterprise bred Vertex 2 Pro EX. The difference between the EX and the non EX model will be the flash; the EX will receive super fast SLC while the Pro 2 non EX receives MLC. For the consumer the Vertex 2 Pro isn't going to matter too much since it will never see a retail shelf. OCZ has removed the product from their roadmap and replaced it with a limited edition model that will be released in just a few days, but in limited numbers. The LE retains the MLC flash but has a controller that is sort of a hybrid between the SF 1200 and SF 1500.
From the start SandForce's big tag line has been the ability to use low cost MLC flash in a way that would make it just as reliable as SLC products. Sounds like an easy task, right? Well, seeing is believing. SandForce has the most advanced solid state controller to date and they have many technical innovations that push the limits of everything we know about solid state drives. In an upcoming editorial we will cover the technology behind SandForce's first round of products that will change the game.
As for pricing and availability, the Vertex 2 Pro is dead in the water. This is one of those cases where the king is dead, long live the king. The Vertex 2 LE will take over for the Vertex 2 Pro, but if you want one you will need to act quickly as supply is limited and there is a chance e-tailers will get a little greedy with their pricing as supply dwindles. The cost is currently set at 399 for the 100GB model and 829 for the 200GB model.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Pricing and Availability]
- Page 3 [The OCZ Technology Vertex 2 Pro]
- Page 4 [Test System Setup and ATTO Baseline Performance]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - HD Tune Pro]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Everest Random Access Time]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Crystal Disk Mark]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage Hard Disk Tests]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - AS SSD]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Passmark]
- Page 11 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- ONRUSH gameplay trailer reveals new game modes
- YouTube star John 'TotalBiscuit' Bain has died age 33
- God of War reaches a massive 5 million units sold
- The Wolf Among Us Season Two hit with 2019 delay
- Nintendo's '2nd Unit Set' for the Switch is dockless, $230
- the best value, budget upgrade for me
- best value budget upgrade path
- Buy 3 Pieces Samsung Galaxy S9 SM-G960UZKAXAA 128GB $1.422
- X58a-ud5 rev 1.0 Bios with VT-d support
- HyperX FURY DDR4-3466 16GB Dual-Channel Memory Kit Review
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit