Operating System Support
As Firewire supports the WDM driver model, it is supported from Windows 98 Second Edition and above. Inbuilt support for the standard started with Windows Millennium, and it is also fully supported in Windows 2000 and Windows XP. All except Windows 98SE also have inbuilt hot pluggable instant networking. When a Firewire adapter is present in a system, Windows automatically installs a virtual network adapter allowing instant access and modification of standard settings.
As far as protocols go, Firewire networking natively supports TCP/IP connectivity. The Internet Connection Sharing built into Microsoft's operating systems also supports sharing through the Firewire connection. TCP/IP is generally all that is needed for today's modern networks, additional protocol support such as IPX/SPX, NetBEUI and AppleTalk are provided by third party software such as Firenet.
Despite the Win9x support for Firewire networking, it is recommended to use either Windows 2000 or Windows XP due to their superior networking capabilities they take better advantage of the extra speed.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Nintendo shows off Switch VR kits in action
- Anthem made $3.5 million in microtransactions
- Nintendo's top 10 best-selling Indie titles on the Switch
- Official Assassin's Creed III Remastered PC specs revealed
- Streamer beats 5 Soulsborne games with no hits by enemies
- Logitech G903 Lightspeed Wireless Gaming Mouse Review
- Icy Dock flexiDock MB524SP-B Review - 4x 2.5" SATA, 5.25 Bay
- ASUS Prime X-470 Pro very long POST / Windows boot time
- Logitech G603 Lightspeed Wireless Gaming Mouse Review
- Aorus master or stutter master?
- EVE: Aether Wars Successfully Achieves Groundbreaking 14,000-Ship Battle Live At GDC
- Stainless Games new IP, ShockRods, set to re-ignite arena combat genre with over-the-top action
- RIFT is Celebrating its 8th Anniversary! Update Gives Players New Expert Dungeon and a Colorful Carnival
- Ubisoft Announces The PC Specifications For Assassin's Creed III Remastered
- Life Is Strange 2 Episode 3 Release Date Announced