Operating System Support
As Firewire supports the WDM driver model, it is supported from Windows 98 Second Edition and above. Inbuilt support for the standard started with Windows Millennium, and it is also fully supported in Windows 2000 and Windows XP. All except Windows 98SE also have inbuilt hot pluggable instant networking. When a Firewire adapter is present in a system, Windows automatically installs a virtual network adapter allowing instant access and modification of standard settings.
As far as protocols go, Firewire networking natively supports TCP/IP connectivity. The Internet Connection Sharing built into Microsoft's operating systems also supports sharing through the Firewire connection. TCP/IP is generally all that is needed for today's modern networks, additional protocol support such as IPX/SPX, NetBEUI and AppleTalk are provided by third party software such as Firenet.
Despite the Win9x support for Firewire networking, it is recommended to use either Windows 2000 or Windows XP due to their superior networking capabilities they take better advantage of the extra speed.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Google Pixel 2 teased in 'Kinda Blue', starts at $649
- Google Pixelbook: Surface competitor starts at $1199
- Biostar's upcoming RACING Z370 GT7 motherboard teased
- Core i9-7980XE benched: super-fast, but costs $1999
- Custom Radeon RX Vega cards not coming until November
- ad240ehdgmbox on m3a785gmh/128m mainboard?
- 8K benched: RX Vega 64 vs. GTX 1080 Ti vs. TITAN Xp SLI
- AMD X399 TR4 Threadripper Motherboard Buyer's Guide
- Gigabyte System Information Viewer
- ASRock X399 Professional Gaming Motherboard Review
- In Win Launches 'Wood-infused' 305 Mid-Tower PC Chassis
- Micron appoints Anand Jayapalan as Storage Business Unit Vice President
- Bluehole, Inc and Microsoft announce expanded partnership for PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds
- Optimize system performance with new drive adapter
- Lian Li reveals new PC-Q39 tempered glass Mini-ITX tower